Monday, August 20, 2018

Yard Work Fun

Hubby Tony had a dinner meeting tonight. On my way home from a job I stopped and bought myself some fast casual Mexican. I brought it home and ate in front of the computer, finished some paperwork, then decided to go outside and do some yard work. It was less then sweltering outside, and trash day is tomorrow so any green waste I made would get picked up.

We had some rain overnight, and I decided to ditch my shoes and do my work barefoot. It felt so good to walk on the pliable turf. I started out by picking up branches and digging a few weeds out of the back yard flower beds. After the weeding was done I moved on to trimming and edging in the front yard. Halfway through the job I heard a rumble of thunder in the distance and picked up the pace, hoping to get done before the rain started. That didn't work. When the drops started coming down I quickly picked up the grass clippings I had made and dumped them in the trash can just as the rain started coming down in sheets.

The storm only lasted ten minutes, and I decided to go back out and finish my job. Even though there hadn't been a lot of rain the yard was now saturated. I started out trying to keep my feet clean, but after I accidentally stepped in a large blob of mud in the middle of the sidewalk I gave up.  Soon my feet were covered with mud and grass clippings.  It was wonderful.

My last task was to deadhead flowers and cut back some leggy annuals in front of the house. When I lifted up a clump of lamb's ear leaves an old friend hopped out from underneath:

Actually a photo from last year. He was too busy tonight to say 'Hi'
(The past few years there has been a lot of frog activity around my estate.  Read more about it here, here, here, and here).

My hands were dirty and I couldn't pull out my phone for a photo. The frog scooted underneath a bush and I quickly lost sight of him. Ten minutes later I finished the last of the yard tasks. I put everything away and washed off my dirty feet before I went into the house.

Five years ago today: If You Can't Trust A Nun, Who Can You Trust?

10 comments:

  1. You are calm around frogs! I would be a bit jumpy pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was momentarily taken aback by the movement, but when I realized it was just a frog it was OK.

      Delete
  2. We used to have toads living around our property, some actually quite huge. Now that I think of it, I haven't seen one in quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen as many this summer as in the past few years. I was starting to worry that they had found a better place to hang out.

      Delete
  3. I love the sound and look of frogs. I just don't want them anywhere near touching me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in desperate need of both rain and wind here in Vancouver. The BC and Washington wildfires have pushed smoke into our area and we currently have worse air pollution that Beijing. It's crazy. The mountains have completely disappeared. I can well understand how good it felt to walk about on the pliable turf. At present, our crispy grass feels like needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sister in Law is visiting Seattle and Olympia and posted photos of the area. What a shame! I will do a rain dance and send the vibes your way.

      Delete
  5. Caterpillars, Snakes, Spiders, flocks of birds and FROGS is one of those things I'd trip over my own feet trying to get away from. My goodness though I've never seen one that big. You'd probably laugh that I'm scared of the little tree frogs. They are adorable and a pretty green but they don't mind hopping on your feet and I can't! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frog was smaller than it looks in the photo-about an inch and a half long :-)

      As a youngster I ran and cowered whenever 'nature' showed up. When I gave birth to a THIRD boy I figured I'd better learn how to co-exist with the stuff they'd bring home. Now unless something jumps ON me I can deal with it.

      Delete