Saturday, December 17, 2016

Pitch The Prescription

Several weeks ago our cat Pepper had oral surgery. He came home from the vet with two medicines, one of which was for pain. This medicine was pre-measured in small syringes, and the directions said to apply the liquid to Pepper's gums twice a day. However, Pepper was having none of it.  I tried to reason with him that the medicine would make him feel better as I was yanking him out from under the bed, but after the first day I gave up and didn't administer it.

The bag laid on the kitchen countertop, where it eventually started to blend in.  However, yesterday I started cleaning the house for Christmas and decided I should get rid of it.  How, though?  A little research revealed I had a supply of buprenorphine, a synthetic opiate drug that's approximately 30 times more powerful at relieving pain than morphine.

Fortunately, my friend Google told me that the closest prescription drug drop off site was just a couple of miles from the house at my city's police station.  I called and found out the collection bin was in the lobby, which is open 24/7.  Today when Hubby Tony and I were out running errands we stopped at the station.  There was a large secure receptacle right inside the door.  I dropped the bag in, made sure it had fallen in all the way, and we left.  It's good to know that those drugs can't get into any wrong hands (or paws).

8 comments:

  1. The drug stores here accept unused prescriptions and Meds, well for people anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around here there are modified postal drop boxes. Fortified, really. And painted poison green. They're usually outside of police stations. I've used them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More drugs turned over, less drugs that can be abused.

      Delete
  3. never thought about it, to be honest. Thanks for making me aware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Isn't it great how we learn from each other?

      Delete
  4. I've heard of people flushing old meds down the toilet which sounds like a very bad idea. Your solution seems much better!

    ReplyDelete