Friday, October 2, 2015

Pampering For Pussycats

I popped into my local pet store yesterday for some cat hairball medicine and a new litter scoop.  I had time to spare, so I also had fun browsing up and down the feline 'accessories' aisle, looking at what was there.

We love our two cats, and they live a very good life, but (based on what I saw) the manufacturers and merchandisers would tell us we're not pampering them enough.  They don't have designer dishes to eat and drink out of, and their litter boxes are simple.  There are no dedicated cat beds in the house.  (Not because we haven't tried--we have-- but the cats have always snubbed them.  They prefer to think of the entire house as their bedroom).

Some of the things I saw:
  • Food and water bowls plain and fancy, dry food feeders automatic and gravity-operated, and water fountains with recirculators and aerators.
  • Placemats in multiple sizes, colors, and materials to keep food crumbs and water dribbles off the floor.
  • Litter boxes with privacy hoods to protect kitty from prying eyes while he's doing his business and self-cleaning models that didn't have to be scooped.
  • Special mats to lay next to those litter boxes for Kitty to wipe his paws on as he exits the area.
  • A small selection of Halloween costumes (which I know our cats are thankful not to have.)
Five years ago today: I Can't Drive 55

8 comments:

  1. You got a big smile out of me with that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cat doesn't know what cats even are, but he would know they don't wear costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such is marketing and consumerism!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all about selling more 'stuff' that people don't need.

      Delete
  4. It's the same with dogs. For years, our poor gal had to curl up on a placemat sized bed in the kitchen. It finally wore out and I got a "princess bed" for her from Costco. Thought it was pretty grand until I spotted the jumbo, deluxe models in our local pet store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing dogs don't care where they lay, either?

      Delete