Monday, September 24, 2012

Music, Music, Music

Over the weekend we went to Columbia, Missouri for the Roots n Blues n BBQ festival. After we walked.on Saturday we went back to Son Brian and DIL Nicole's house to shower and rest.  After lunch we drove back downtown.  There was music to be listened to!

The festival had three stages, one of which was outside the ticketed area and free.  We concentrated on the bands at the other two stages, and still didn't get to see everything we wanted.  As always, I saw new-to-me bands that were great, but I was most excited to hear two legends perform on the main stage. John Mayall was the penultimate act, followed by Al Green.

Both lived up to my expectations. We were sitting far away from the stage so we couldn't see what was going on, but that didn't matter. The list of artists that John Mayall has performed with reads like a Who's Who of blues rock--Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Peter Green, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Mick Taylor, and many more. The set was over all too quickly, and we settled in for the main event

The weather was unseasonably cold, and as the sun went down I huddled against Hubby Tony for warmth. Instead of my fleece jacket, a light winter coat would have been more appropriate but that didn't matter once Al Green came on. Even from where I was sitting I could see he was dressed to the nines in a white tuxedo jacket. The stage was full with musicians, a horn section, backup singers and dancers.  Al Green is now in his 60s, but his voice (along with the beautiful falsetto) is still intact.  He sang some cover songs, but for the most part he rolled through his hits..."How Can You Mend a Broken Heart", "Here I Am", "I Can't Get Next to You", "Tired of Being Alone", "I'm Still in Love with You", "Let's Stay Together".

Before I knew it the show was over, but I was still humming a tune as I walked back to the car.

7 comments:

  1. I think you had an all round great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What fun! This song really gets you moving. Love it! I'm so glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like great music, I remember Al Green's songs. Glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome way to spend an evening, there's something about music which can take the chill out of a crisp Autumn evening. As I was reading your post I started to wonder if after all these years of singing the same songs the artists ever get tired of singing them. They must not, they keep on doing it, I suppose for as long as the fans keep loving their music. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or as long as they get paid for singing them :-)

      Delete
  5. From your posts, it sounds like you had some great times during your time in Columbia. When I was in college there, I always loved the different concerts and venues. Where was yours held?

    I need to get out to the Churchill museum one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roots n Blues takes place downtown. The main stage was at 7th and Locust, and another one was at Peace Park. The free stage was at Flat Branch Park (which is also where the running events started and ended).

      Delete