Sunday, June 12, 2011

You'll Never View Vacuuming The Same Way Again

Tony and I share the housekeeping jobs. According to the calendar, this week is my turn to vacuum. (He has bathroom duty.) When it's hot outside, I usually work up a sweat doing the chore, but today that wasn't a problem; our record-setting high temperatures broke yesterday, so we turned off the air conditioner and opened up the windows to air things out.

When I'm vacuuming, I do it the same way and follow the same route. I'm left handed, so I grab the vacuum handle in my left hand, and hold the cord out of the way with my right. I start in the family room, vacuum my way around the couches and tables, then move to the living room and clean it. Next, I get the stairs, ending up on the second floor. After doing the upstairs hall, I shift to the master bedroom to finish. Sometimes I vacuum the boys' empty bedrooms, sometimes I don't.

Today, though, when I got to the first table, I decided it was easier to switch my hands and push with my right arm than to walk around to the other side. Much to my surprise, the vacuum cleaner was hard to push! I didn't know I had a dominant arm. Once I realized that my left side must be stronger than my right, I decided to complete the job using my non-dominant hand.

At first it felt really awkward, but after a couple minutes I got a good rhythm going, using a back and forth motion to cover the entire room. The job took longer, but when I was finished, I felt like I'd had a workout.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy I'm also left handed and I know my left arm is way stronger than my right one, even if our world is backwards. Have you ever used a left handed can opener? How about a left handed pair of scissors? I've tried both and it's so weird, I've totally adapted to the right hand side of the world. The prices they charge us lefties for left handed gadgets is crazy, I can't afford to be left handed! However, I vacuum like you do, I only have two area rugs but for the heck of it I'm going to try using my right hand next time I vacuum. Every little bit of exercise helps! I wonder how it would be switching hands for sweeping... I'll have to give it a try one of these days.

    Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that interesting! And I've always thought vacuuming was a good workout! I always get hot!

    ReplyDelete