Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Preschool Fitness Plan

I couldn't make it to the gym today, but I managed to get in a good exercise session while at work:
  • I got my aerobic workout by dancing the "Hokey Pokey" and doing the motions to "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes"...twice. When I was outside later in the day, I corralled several students from the far corners of the playground and brought them back to the main area. I also played catch with someone who wasn't a very good thrower and spent a lot of time running after balls.
  • I strengthened my core muscles by physically removing a recalcitrant child from the group and placing her in time out. It was even better than lifting weights, because the child was wiggling in my arms trying to get out, so I really had to work hard!
  • My arms got the attention they needed when I pushed several students on swings multiple times during the day.
  • Every time I had to get down to preschooler eye level, I made sure I did a squat instead of bending over. My legs are really feeling the exertion!
  • I increased my dexterity by quickly weaving my way through a group of children on the floor to reach someone who was about to fall off a tricycle!

7 comments:

  1. ...what if the Hokey Pokey *is* what it's all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney--what a scary thought!

    Kathy--maybe today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Syndey poses a good question...

    Just wanted to let you know this post brought a big smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie...you're making me blush...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished a week of Vacation Bible School with little ones and boy, did I get a workout. You are going to be in great shape doing this on a full time basis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dk, I'm EXHAUSTED every night!

    ReplyDelete