The background of the event, from their Facebook page:
Most Advent calendars present us with a gift each day leading up to Christmas. The purpose of this Advent of Gratitude is to remind us of the gifts we already have, what we often take for granted, what we can and should be grateful for. Each daily reminder includes a suggestion for payment, a small monetary gift that in 24 days will grow into a donation, payable to a charity of your choice.Here is the 2018 list. Unlike last year, this time I will not be doing a daily blog rundown. Instead, I invite you to follow the list on your own (or even better, 'Like' the Advent of Gratitude page yourself).
At the end of this challenge, please donate to a charity, preferably somewhere local, that serves those less fortunate than you.
- When you woke up this morning was “What to wear?” a decision? If yes, pay $2.
- Have you experienced a natural disaster in which you felt unsafe? If no, pay $3.
- Pay $1 for each vehicle owned by yourself or someone who lives in your home.
- Do you pay a monthly subscription to anything? If yes, pay $4.
- This may seem personal but … count the number of undergarments in your drawer(s). Pay .10 per garment.
- What’s in your wallet? Pay .50 per credit or debit card.
- Did you listen to music today? That’s worth at least $2!
- If you, and/or those in your family who need them, have access to feminine hygiene products, pay $3.
- Did you pay property taxes in 2018? If yes, pay $4. More than one property? Multiply!
- In 2017, we counted light switches. Today count electrical outlets. Too many? Pay $5.
- Look in your cupboards. Count coffee cups/tea cups. Pay .10 per cup.
- Do you worry about having clean water to drink, bathe, or wash with? If no, pay $2.
- Do you (or did you) have access to birth control when you wanted or needed it? If yes, pay $3.
- Look in your jewelry box(es). Any real gold or silver? If yes, pay $3.
- Did you go to the dentist this year? If yes, pay $3.
- Count the bottles of shampoo, soap, conditioner in your home. Pay .10 per bottle.
- If there is sporting equipment in your home or garage, pay $4. Went to a professional sporting event in 2018? Double that!
- If you bought lettuce or watermelon this week pay $2. If more than once, pay $4.
- Think about how you get from your work to your home? Do you feel safe? If yes, pay $3.
- Open your closets and count purses/handbags. Men, count your ties/belts. Pay .25 each.
- When was your last vacation? In 2018? If yes, pay $4.
- Do you have easy access to local, national and international news? If yes, pay $2.
- Do you own tools for house repair? If yes, pay $3.
- If you have more people who love you than you can count on your fingers, pay $5.