Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Dry Drops

Today I had my annual eye exam. At the end of the visit I learned that the lens prescription change was so minor I decided not to bother with new glasses.

However, during the exam I mentioned to the doctor that the letters on the chart were sometimes blurry, but but would clear up when I blinked. He moistened an orange dye strip and touched the strip against the inside of my lower lid, then examined my eyes with a blue light and announced I had dry eye syndrome.

I left the office thoroughly educated about what that means. The main causes of dry eyes are increased tear evaporation (called evaporative dry eye) and decreased tear production (called aqueous deficiency). For both, the most common cause is aging. In addition to my blurry vision, other common symptoms are burning, bloodshot eyes, heavy eyelids, and eye strain during reading or screen use.

The doctor said there were quite a few treatments, but suggested the first step would be preservative-free, over-the-counter eye drops and gave me some suggestions of brands to look for. I was most surprised to learn that using a ceiling fan can be an issue, even during the nighttime when my eyes were closed. For that, he suggested gel eye drops that are thicker and last longer.

Vecteezy
Five years ago: Bicentennial Fun

36 comments:

  1. Praying for your good health, Kathy.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping you in my prayers, dear Kathy. Sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I have dry eye syndrome, but my eyes are so dry in the morning that I can hardly open them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that and have punctal plugs, inserted in the tear ducts every six months. It really does help especially when you live in a low humidity area like here. My eyes get so dry they used to briefly stick together. My vision was blurry. I also use a eye pack to soften the muscles that helps lubricant the eyes. I'm overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I live in an area with four distinct seasons (some of which are very humid) I wonder if my symptoms will vary at different times of the year. An eye pack sounds nice.

      Delete
  5. Been there, bought the drops...based on my experience, they do indeed help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed with dry eye as well this is around the third year in and my vision has gotten worse-sadly notice it mostly when driving can''t read the signs well any more suppose to add drops in my eyes several times a day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes to the decreased vision! Keep using those eye drops!

      Delete
  7. How nice to know that your eye problem is easily resolved with eye drops. Good news on the prescription, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worse in winter with dry air. Adding a humidifier in my bedroom amazingly helped, as the eye doc suggested. The gel kind of drops are good for night time cuz they are gooey. I use Refresh Mega-3 eye drops during the day. The company has coupons sometimes, and it's cheaper at CVS with a 30% off CVS coupon. I use SteriLid eye wash in the mornings to clear the goo and "Mr. Sandman sand" off my lid edges. $27 a spray bottle. Computers don't help. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refresh was one of the brands the doctor recommended. I am picking up some gel drops today. Walgreens is easier to find than CVS for me, but they have a nice selection of store brand products.

      Delete
  9. I hope the eye drops do the trick! I use moisturizing eye drops occasionally too, especially in the winter when the heat is on and it gets very dry here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always used the occasional eye drop, but will be upping that.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for educating us. I get dry eyes driving, if my AC is on probably because I like to blowing in my face when its hot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have dry eyes, use Blephadex foam. Haven't been using since my eye surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OTC eye drops have been a part of my morning routine for some years now. It's been a while since I experienced dry-eye "weeping" but I don't know that I'm mentally strong enough to turn off the ceiling fan above my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about the bedroom ceiling fan during the hot weather :-)

      Delete
  13. If it is not one thing it is another, as we age. My prescription hadn't chnaged either, but my glasses were scratched from a fall, so I replaced them $$$.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about the glasses. They are SO expensive!

      Delete
  14. I live in a very dry climate (Saudi Arabia) and I noticed drinking more water helps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have dry eyes too. Have so many kinds of drops. Hope today is a good one for you.
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am accumulating quite a collection of eye drops in the bathroom.

      Delete
  16. Husband has that too and uses drops every day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck ! They’re annoying to put in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am horrible with eye drops! I have to use a mirror to make sure they get where they're supposed to instead of ending up on my cheek.

      Delete
  18. I've never heard of this thank you. I sometimes get this way and blink away and clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to experiment with eye drops. For long-term use the preservative-free ones are the best.

      Delete
  19. Terry has a prescription from the eye doctor for eye drops. I cannot remember the details about why he uses them, but it will be forever now. He has a pucker in his eye that has to be watched so that may have something to do with the drops. I would have to have someone put them in for me as I cannot do eye drops without madly blinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look in the mirror, pull my lower eyelid down. and place the drop there.

      Delete