Monday, August 24, 2026

They'll Get What They Get

From 2020 to 2022 I was the secretary for a state-wide fellowship. My duties were to take minutes at four meetings per year, compile a document containing those minutes and reports from others in the organization, and send the document to the person responsible for publishing it to the website.

By the end of my term I had a nice system set up, starting with a template showing the information I needed to capture at the meeting (such as the people who read some basic information at the beginning, if there were any absentees, who made a motion, and who seconded it). I just filled in the blanks as the meeting went along. Shortly before each meeting I sent out an email requesting reports, then copied and pasted them into my draft document. Because I knew what I had and hadn't received, during the meeting if someone gave a report they hadn't sent to me I immediately sent them a message asking for the information.

All of my pre-work made it so I could turn the final document around in a couple of weeks. When my tenure as secretary was over I purged my files (both physical and computer) and moved on to another position within the fellowship.

Several days ago I got a phone call from the fellowship's Chair. After a bit of chit chat she told me that the current secretary had stepped down for personal reasons and they needed someone to fill in at an meeting this upcoming weekend. Might I be able to do that, or did I know someone who could?

I was already going to be at the meeting, so after a little consideration I let her know I was willing to help. I could hear the relief in her voice.
Open Clip Art
I looked in every crevice of every computer file and email address, but I never found the template document I used to use. It took several sessions at the computer to recreate it, but eventually I came up with something that closely resembled the already-published minutes on the website.

The person who did the job the term after mine and the newly departed Secretary seem to have dabbled with using AI to summarize things. I will not be doing that. The fellowship will get what they will get.

Five years ago: Distressing

No comments:

Post a Comment