Monday, July 7, 2014

Where's The........?

By far the most common question I get at the mall Customer Service desk is 'where is the bathroom'?

The request comes in many varieties, though. Sometimes the speaker uses that exact phrase, but sometimes they use an alternate word to designate the room they're looking for. Occasionally I have to really think about what the person is looking for (especially if they speak with a heavy accent or use an unfamiliar label for the room).

In my meanderings through the Internet the other day I came across a fun article called 101 Names for a Toilet. Scrolling through the list, I was amazed to find out I've been asked about twenty of them:
Can, Commode, Facilities, Head, John, Latrine, Lavatory, Little Boys Room, Little Girls Room, Loo, Potty, Powder Room, Restroom, Toilet, The Gents, The Ladies, Wash Room, Water Closet
Five years ago today: Talk Is Cheap

9 comments:

  1. When you deal with the public, it can be very amusing and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a never-ending source of entertainment :-)

      Delete
  2. Add to your list, dunny for Australia, choo for Kenya, and WC for Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the WC, but the other two are new to me!

      Delete
    2. Kenya is a British colony so I think choo is their take of loo.

      Delete
  3. oh funny, who knew there were so many names!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A coworker used to always ask where the bathroom was in Spanish, even though his first language is not Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I am sure after a few days you have heard them all.

    ReplyDelete