Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Could Eat Mexican Food Every Day


Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Cinco de Mayo celebrates Mexico's victory over France at Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, but in the United States people use the holiday as a good excuse to eat Mexican food and drink margaritas.

This weekend I was out of town attending the biannual business meeting of an organization I belong to.  After lunch on Friday three other members arrived at my house and piled into my car for the drive to the Lake of the Ozarks where the meeting was held.  Despite the fact it rained most of the way there, the three-hour drive went quickly.

We checked into our hotel rooms and met back at the lobby to figure out where to go for dinner.  After a bit of discussion we decided to go to a Mexican restaurant several miles away.  There was no wait for a table.  As soon as we were seated the waitress brought chips and salsa to nibble on while we looked at the menu.  I decided to have chile rellenos. My plate held two large cheese-stuffed peppers, rice, and beans. It was quite tasty.

Saturday was a full day of meetings, punctuated by meal breaks.  For dinner, the representatives of the groups in my area decided to go out to eat together.  We gathered in the lobby; by time I got there a decision had been made.  We were going to a new Mexican restaurant that one of the group highly recommended.

This restaurant was a little busier, but we still didn't have to wait for a table.  Once again we started the meal with chips and salsa.  This time I wasn't very hungry, so I ordered two tamales and refried beans from the à la carte menu.  My food arrived on two small oval plates, and was just enough to fill me up.

Today's meeting session was supposed to end at noon, but it was closer to 12:30 by time it wrapped up.  We packed up the car and stopped for a quick lunch at Panera, then got on the road.  It rained sporadically (sometimes a fine mist, sometimes a downpour) during the drive.  Everyone was tired after the busy weekend and the conversation was more subdued.  I was glad when I pulled into the driveway at my house.  The other women gathered their things and left.

Hubby Tony and Son Donald had planned dinner--a special Cinco de Mayo meal of soft beef tacos with tomatillo salsa and guacamole, brown rice, and refried beans.  It was the perfect ending to the weekend.

Five years ago today: New Thing # 115--Rock the House

10 comments:

  1. And Happy Cinco de Mayo to you, Kathy. Gosh! I haven't had Mexican food in such a long, long time. Now you've got me thinking about it. Perhaps tomorrow? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any DAY is a good day for Mexican food :-)

      Delete
  2. Big Mexican fans here, too. I'm sure Mexican is close to univeral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear a lot about this holiday but it's not really celebrated in my area. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could start celebrating in YOUR family and maybe start something.

      Delete
  4. The meals sound delicious, Mexican food is so good and now I'm wondering why I don't indulge in it a bit more often... right I'd have to cook it! lol

    Glad to hear you had a safe journey, welcome home and I hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, they don't have Mexican restaurants in your neighborhood?!?

      Delete
  5. You and Terry would get along well. He too likes Mexican food and could eat it every day.

    ReplyDelete