Friday, August 19, 2011

This and That

A couple of updates:

  • Yesterday's woodpecker seems to have found her way out of the garage and flown away. (Although I'm still looking around the garage carefully before I leave the house)

    First critters were getting them outside, then the cats got the first set I brought inside. For most of July, the weather was too hot and dry for tomatoes, so no fruits were setting. Now that the weather is more seasonally normal, I've been picking one or two tomatoes (Romas and cherries) every day. I was excited yesterday to see that one of the big fruits was just about ripe.
    Not wanting to take any chances, I picked it and brought it inside, along with the day's handful of small fruits, put them in a bowl, and set the bowl on the kitchen counter. After dinner Tony and I were sitting in the family room when we heard one of the cats jumping down from something. We didn't think much of it, but a few minutes later Tony went in the kitchen to get his shoes and called me to come take a look at something. The big tomato was laying on the ground, with a large chunk taken out of the side.
    (I know which cat is doing it--Jackson, who's been on a diet, but he didn't even have the decency to look guilty when we asked.)

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know cats would even EAT tomatoes!

    Glad to hear the bird got out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is hilarious! I never new a tomato eating cat! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Thank goodness the bird has flown the coop, I mean the garage. I think I heard somewhere that you can put green tomatoes in a brown bag to ripen them. Don't quote me on that though.

    ReplyDelete