Sunday, April 22, 2018

Floral Design On The Cheap

Son Donald was in a friend's wedding last night. This morning I came down to the kitchen and noticed a mass of flowers above one of the kitchen cabinets. When Donald woke up he told me that the bride and groom were tossing some of the flowers at the end of the night. He and a friend each decided to take some.  (Once home, he put them up high so the cats couldn't get them.)

The long, low arrangement was a beautiful combination of ranunculus, iris, delphinium, babies breath, and greenery that had been a table centerpiece. Donald was right; the flowers were too pretty to be trashed. I decided to disassemble the arrangement and see if I could reuse it (like I did here and here).

Knowing the flowers had been around for a while and wouldn't last a long time I didn't put a whole lot of work into the task, but I like the way they turned out. Many of the stems had been cut short, so I arranged them in canning jars. The taller stems went in a glass vase. Everything got set on the fireplace mantel to keep the cats away. Those darn cats!


Five years ago today: Shared Responsibility

4 comments: