Friday, April 29, 2016

Rootbound No More

Yesterday was repotting day for the plants that overwintered in the window seat area in the kitchen.

I started with the two hanging baskets of spider plants, which have to be done every spring.  They were so rootbound that even the baby plants were starting to produce their own plantlets.  I carried both baskets out to the grass behind the garage (so I didn't have to clean up the dirty mess) and dumped the first pot into an old recycling bin.  As I suspected, the bottom of the soil was covered with a tangle of tuberous roots.

Spider plants are almost impossible to kill, so after removing the tiny bit of extra soil with my hands I used a steak knife I cut the bottom roots off, then cut between each plant and pulled them apart.  When I was done my two stuffed pots had turned into three pots, and there were still two plants left over.

I didn't have any more pots of the proper size, so I decided to stick the extras directly in the ground next to the compost pile.  They'll either grow or not, and either way won't survive the winder


6 comments:

  1. My dad is always trying to pass of some "roots" to me, telling me the same thing that I can handle it. They sit out on his screen porch in the summer and he brings them in in the winter.

    I stopped by to tell you that I talked with one of the parents today at Christopher's basketball camp. I started off with, "Which one is yours?" ;-) Her name is "C"athy. So I know I won't forget that because I was thinking of you when I talked to her. It wasn't until the end that I said, "Nice talking to you" and we exchanged names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY COOL! I knew you could do it...and I'm here to tell you it gets easier each time.

      Delete
  2. I don't have any houseplants in my house anymore, got tired of taking care of them! And I just have perennials outside, no more annuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice minimal way to go.

      Delete
  3. I have a peace lily that desperately needs repotting. I don't know why I haven't done it, but it's looking sad because it's outgrown it's original pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had good luck with peace lilies. Good luck on your task

      Delete