Yesterday was repotting day for the plants that overwintered in the window seat area in the kitchen.
I started with the two hanging baskets of spider plants, which have to be done every spring. They were so rootbound that even the baby plants were starting to produce their own plantlets. I carried both baskets out to the grass behind the garage (so I didn't have to clean up the dirty mess) and dumped the first pot into an old recycling bin. As I suspected, the bottom of the soil was covered with a tangle of tuberous roots.
Spider plants are almost impossible to kill, so after removing the tiny bit of extra soil with my hands I used a steak knife I cut the bottom roots off, then cut between each plant and pulled them apart. When I was done my two stuffed pots had turned into three pots, and there were still two plants left over.
I didn't have any more pots of the proper size, so I decided to stick the extras directly in the ground next to the compost pile. They'll either grow or not, and either way won't survive the winder