Today we bought airplane tickets for a family adventure at the end of May. We were coordinating five different schedules, and it was hard to find a date that worked for everyone. Finally we narrowed it down to one of two weekends. The first was better for everyone-except for me. I already had a commitment. Last month someone asked me to be part of a speaking panel at an event she was chairing. I had said yes.
What should I do? The woman who's organizing the event is a really nice person, and I didn't want to be a jerk. Should family come first, though? After mulling over the pros and cons of all the different scenarios I came to the decision I would back out of my commitment. The event is still almost two months away, and there will be time to find someone else to take my place.
Next I had to decide the best way to break the news. In person probably would have been more professional, but since I wouldn't see the woman until the end of the week I decided to call her. When she picked up the phone we chatted for a few minutes, then I broke the news and explained the reasons I needed to back out.
She was gracious and said she understood. I hope she meant it.
Five years ago today: The Bank Account Of Life