Friday, April 13, 2012

It's Got A Good Beat And You Can Dance To It.

The mall I work at pipes in background music for the people who shop there.  Thanks to the set of speakers behind the Customer Service desk, I get to listen, too.  Fortunately, the mall doesn't subscribe to a muzak service, but broadcasts the original tunes--mainly hits from the 70s and 80s (with an occasional smooth jazz tune, Motown hit, or song from the last few years that's so ubiquitous that even people like me know it).  If I'm not busy I pay attention to the songs, and the other day I heard one that really brought back memories.

It was the summer of 1984.  Son Tony was a VERY colicky newborn who didn't nap well. During the day, Hubby Tony was at work and it was up to me to find a way to keep the baby happy.  I quickly figured out that little Tony liked to be held and bounced, preferably while I stood and rocked or walked. Watching TV while I bounced him didn't work, because it was hard to keep up with anything that had a plot. However, TV did offer a solution in MTV, which back then played music videos 24/7.

We spent hours dancing and swaying to the top artists of the day--Madonna, ZZ Top, George Michael, Duran Duran, and Cyndi Lauper. However, the Stray Cats were one of our favorite bands.  When I heard the Stray Cat Strut over the mall speakers, I almost broke into the little jig I did to the song more than a quarter of a century ago.  Then I remembered where I was, and just sang along to myself.


5 comments:

  1. You should have danced! What a great song! It makes me want to dance, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for taking me back in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving those rockabilly hairdos so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that was fun...it's amazing what memories we attach to songs...and being from that era, I remember all of those, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love shopping when there's catchy tunes which make me want to dance, the elevator music drives me right out of the shops or malls. I believe it's a smart marketing tactic to play catchy tunes, people are more alert and if you want to dance... dance! ;-)

    ReplyDelete