Monday, April 30, 2012

I Have A Lot Of Friends At Work. I Just Don't Know Their Names

I've worked at the mall Customer Service desk for almost 10 months.  During that time I've become friendly with quite a few people...security guards, housekeepers, and fellow mall employees as well as frequent shoppers and mall walkers.

Some of them wave or say hello as they walk by, and a few stop to chat.  If they work in the mall, chances are they wear a name tag and I've been able to figure out who's who.  The rest are just nameless friendly people.

There's one pair of mall walkers who I've figured out are avid sports fans.  Their shirts change with the seasons (Cardinals in the spring and summer, Rams during football season, Mizzou for basketball), and some other college teams that I assume have special meaning.  We've had several short discussions, mainly about sports, but it's more like a walk and talk as they're passing by.

Today one of group members came up carrying a large nylon bag.  They'd received it at a baseball game and thought I might like it.  Inside were a few promotional trinkets and a souvenir soda cup.  Even though the things were only worth a couple of dollars, I was touched they'd think of me.

We talked for about five minutes, then they continued on their walk.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful when someone does a random act of kindness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part of my job is remembering names.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the WORST problem remembering names. I've been seeing the same people at Zumba and Tai chi for a LONG time and I still can't get their names straight. It's so nice that you're surrounded by nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a nice thoughtful gift for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! And I bet if you exchanged names, it would make them seem even more like friends! How cute that they thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! Though I don't work at Walmart, I finally started learning some names of employees that I see all the time. I'm not a stop and talk person though ;-) Thanks for linking up with TALU Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember names well, but you are so observant - noticing that they are sports fans based on their shirts. It's nice to work around nice people!

    Found you on the TALU. Thanks for sharing!

    madscientistcrazymom.com

    ReplyDelete