Friday, October 2, 2026

Welcoming A New Feline Friend

It only took three days for Hubby Tony and I to welcome another foster cat into our condo.

The shelter gave us several options for cats they were looking to place. The first was a young female. Tony and I have had cats for more than 40 years, and by coincidence they've all been male, so I thought a change would be perfect! I didn't realize we were getting another small panther until I saw a photo on the shelter's volunteer Facebook page.

Our new friend

The shelter likes to give special names to family groups. Young mama Tilapia was pregnant when she arrived in mid-June and went to a foster parent who specializes in newborn kittens. At the end of the month she delivered Perch, Catfish, Trout and Carp. After the kittens were weaned Tilapia was spayed, and after recovering moved to the adoption lounge. However, she did not enjoy the noise and hubbub there, and the staff thought she needed a place of her own.

Foster Cat Tilapia was very vocal on the ride home, and curious when we brought her into the condo. Although we had my office set up as a safe room with everything she needed, it didn't take her long to start exploring. I found her hunkered down behind the toilet in the hall bathroom. She didn't like that her hiding place was discovered, so later Tony found her behind the dryer taking a nap.

There's a rule of thumb for bringing cats into a new place--three days to decompress, three weeks to learn the house routines, and three months to feel fully at home. We will let Foster Cat Tilapia move at her own pace and let us know when she feels like a real member of the family.

Five years ago: Destination Unknown

27 comments:

  1. Welcome, Tilapia! What beautiful eyes she has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely something about a black cat with green eyes.

      Delete
  2. Awww bless her little feline heart. Cute name. I'm sure she will sense the calm and quickly become part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww welcome Tilapia!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so cute that they all have fish names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that makes accounting for all the groups easier.

      Delete
  5. That's awesome that you have a new foster cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, she is gorgeous. Please give her a hug 🫂 🤗 for me. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now she's not accepting hugs, si I will save it for down the line :-)

      Delete
  7. A "small panther" lol. Great description. I hope Tilapia (great name) adjusts quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Right now she's still decompressing.

      Delete
  8. Such a cutie! Looks just like my Blackie :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think black cats and straight tabby cats tend to have more similarities than other types.

      Delete
  9. She is gorgeous! Looks like my black cat I named Barack. Sadly, I have discovered that Barack is not male, after all! I have two black kittens running around. The other one is named Michelle, but the fur is dull on her, while Barack's fur is sleek and shiny. Two different litters, I had assumed they were fathered by the same male cat that I have seen lurking in the woods watching my cats play. I am sure Tilapia will soon learn that she is safe with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So just like you used to have Martha the boy cat now you have Barack the girl.

      Delete
  10. Bloggers everywhere welcome you to Missouri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry everyone, I accidentally hit enter without doing an edit ... "to your new Kirkwood Missouri home where you are safe and happy".

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful cat dear Kathy :)
    i enjoyed this story ,last para particularly how cat takes time to settle down in her new home .with so much love and care she is being given i believe she will take even less :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank your helping foster these cats-hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fostering keeps a cat in the house without a potentially multi-decade commitment

      Delete
  14. Tilapia is stunning! The staff must have fun, bestowing these cute names on them all.

    ReplyDelete