Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Bright And Shiny Panes

As soon as temperature cooled off we opened the windows so the fresh air could come in, which made me aware that the windows were dirty and could use some attention.

I try to do window washing twice a year-in the spring after the furnace gets turned off and in the fall when the air conditioner is no longer needed. No matter what the season, after months of being exposed to the elements the outside of the glass is a mess of rain spots, caked-on dirt, and the random bird dropping. The interior surface collects fingerprints, condensation, and dust.

On Sunday, instead of recycling the newspaper I put it aside to use for drying the glass panes. The condo windows face west and southwest, so cleaning them a good job for the morning before the sun hits the glass. After breakfast I assembled my supplies and got to work.

The windows in the condo tilt in for cleaning, which makes it way easier than at the previous house where I had to hang out of the upper-story ones to clean the outside, but I could tell I was still getting a good core workout stretching across the pane to get the crud from the corners and edges. Usually I use my right hand to apply the vinegar solution and my left hand to dry it off, but today my left shoulder wasn't having all the extra work and I was forced to swap back and forth between hands. When the job was done my hands were covered in newspaper ink, and after washing the ink off I had to use a rag to get black smudges off the white window frames.

Ewwww!

All the work was worth it, though. This afternoon, it was a joy to see the sun streaming through shiny panes.

Five years ago today: Always Something Interesting Online

20 comments:

  1. Hey Kathy! My left thumb does that bendy thing too. Glad the effort was worth it. That's the best. Great job! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought about my thumb position until you mentioned it; not I can't NOT think about it :-)

      Delete
  2. My windows need washed but I'm waiting for our rainy season to naturally wash them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my area the rain never does a complete job.

      Delete
  3. I need to do this same chore. You've inspired me to just get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wash the windows twice yearly too. I love it when they are so clean again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smiled when the sun came up this morning and showcased the clean glass.

      Delete
  5. How much do you charge? Grab a box of nurse gloves at Sam's. Makes such chores much easier on your hands. Good for mixing meatloaf too. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having clean windows is so worth it. I cleaned my windows a week or so ago. I don't think the outsides had been cleaned since the apartments opened in 1972. They were really bad. I got some side eyes from my neighbors, but I like to look out of a clean window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're setting a high bar for your neighbors :-)

      Delete
  7. There may be modern methods, but newspaper and vinegar will always be the choice here.
    But, yeah, gruesome hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the ink comes off with a good scrubbing.

      Delete
  8. C'mon over Kath, my windows need cleaned too. 😀 Newspaper has never worked well for me.See? I need your help. I'm available any date you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The windows in our apartment building were professionally washed a few months ago, but could definitely use another cleaning. I have used vinegar and heard of using newspaper and after seeing your hands, now I know why I've not tried it.

    ReplyDelete