Monday, August 17, 2026

Holding In High Regard

August 17th is Black Cat Appreciation Day, which aims to dispel negative black cat superstitions, like their association with bad luck or the fact that they're witches in disguise.

My current favorite black cat, Foster Smokey Joe, had a bit of notoriety today when he was featured in a social media promotion by the shelter publicizing a ticket raffle to the Savannah Bananas baseball game next weekend. The photos of Smokey Joe show him playing with a catnip banana his cat sitter gave him a while back. The tie-in also included a link to the list of adoptable cats on the shelter's website.

Tonight after dinner Smokey Joe asked for a lap to sit on, which I was happy to do. It's sometimes hard to tell with a cat but I think he appreciated me as much as I appreciated him.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no, I did not know it was such a holiday! No wonder the two black kittens gave me the stink eye when I greeted them this morning! Barack and Michelle are growing into magnificent cats. Barack is gorgeous with a shiny sleek coat of fur and eyes that change from green to a bright gold. Michelle's coat is not as shiny and her eyes don't change color, but she has a sweet disposition. Barack knows he is a handsome boy! Kevin and Ginger are the indoor cats. Kevin likes to cuddle on his own terms, but Ginger purrs non-stop. My kids used to call me a crazy dog lady, but I have added cats and a turtle to my resume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank you so much for this, ❤️ Kathy. I have had 3 black cats 🐈 😻 🐈‍⬛️ in my life, two were together, as they were twins...brother and sister. The other black cat I had was much later, a female. Every one of them were beautiful, with very sweet and gentle dispositions.
    These black beauties are the last ones to be adopted because of the unfounded and cruel things people associate with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Black Cat Appreciation Day!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete