The Food and Drug Administration thought they had identified the source of the outbreak-shredded iceberg lettuce from Central Mexico that came from one specific supplier-but it turned out to be a false positive result and the hunt is still ongoing.
In the midst of all this I found this great infographic about things that are safe and not safe to eat until the outbreak is under control.
|
| Reader's Digest |
Things to avoid, or only eat cooked: Raw berries (like raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries); soft-skinned fruits (like peaches, plums, nectarines, and grapes), raw leafy greens (like fresh spinach, romaine lettuce, and greens); prewashed salad mixes (like bagged kits and precut greens); precut grocery fruit bowls (anything including melons or berries), and fresh raw herbs (like cilantro, basil, and parsley).
If you live in the United States, how much have you been affected by the outbreak? Have you made any changes in your diet?
There was only one thing I ate that I thought MIGHT be Suspect, I had a small Spring Greens side Salad with an Eggs Benedict Breakfast and got the Trots real bad not long after eating it, but just the one trip to the Bathroom and then I was Fine. So I doubt it was this, but, I did think about it and have avoided eating some of the items that could be tainted. I have heard that one of the big Suppliers is Suspect and are Big Political Donors to this Administration so a deflect to Taco Bell was made. Then debunked. And a few Bloggers said that major Supplier has had problems before with how they grow and package... so... I don't know we're getting all the accurate information to protect ourselves that we need?
ReplyDeleteI didn’t know it happened until I read about it on someone’s blog. It started right here in California, but I haven’t heard of any problems locally. One thing I’ve noticed is that people seem to buy bagged salads instead of making their own. I still make mine, because I can’t stand the old lettuce in those bags.
ReplyDeleteThis is the result of the current administrations cutting of food safety staff, resources across the board...thanks Trump!
ReplyDeleteLife's getting difficult.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I was at our local Sam's facility yesterday (Sam's is like Costco) and I noticed that the lettuce bins and the fruits were all so full. No one seemed to want to buy these items... I didn't either. Also, the taco bells in our area are have been struggling these past couple of weeks. People are avoiding them.
ReplyDeleteOur news says it is due to that Taco Bell supplier -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteWe have been avoiding lettuce, but eating our gardentomatoes. And so far I have not had an issue with fresh peaches from the store. One year iit was tomatoes at Taco Bell. Now their business is down 20 %.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds thoroughly unpleasant, and very dangerous for immuno-compromised and vulnerable people. I hope the source can be tracked down and eliminated.
ReplyDeleteHello Kathy, Just wanted to leave a quick note to say thank you for this fantastic article!
ReplyDeleteOver a week ago, we (western Canada) definitely chose fruit and veg carefully, and shared a similar jpeg in group chat to help protect the grandchildren.
ReplyDelete