|
| Free SVG |
I was processing a pineapple today. When I was done there was a bowl of pineapple chunks and another bowl of waste- the outer peel, core, and crown and I started wondering if any of the waste had another use.
A little internet research told me that I should just toss the crown, but the peel and core could be turned into a drink. I used the recipe for Pineapple Skin Tea at PlantYou.I washed the peel well I chopped it and the core up, tossed everything in a pot, then added water, fresh ginger, a little powdered turmeric, and a bit of maple syrup. The recipe called for a cinnamon stick (which I didn't have), so I substituted powdered cinnamon.
After the mixture came to a boil I lowered the heat until it was simmering and ignored it for an hour, then used a colander to drain the liquid. The tea had a light, refreshing pineapple taste, but I didn't enjoy the cinnamon dregs in the bottom of the cup . If I ever made this again I would definitely use a cinnamon stick or strain the liquid with a fine mesh sieve.Five years ago today: A Prayer for Dealing with Difficult People

Sounds delicious. I love pineapple....even on pizza.
ReplyDeleteI don't dislike pineapple on pizza, but I'm also not a super fan.
DeleteThat sounds tasty
ReplyDeleteThat was interesting.
ReplyDeleteThat was interesting that the powdered cinnamon didn't end up well sounds like a refreshing beverage
ReplyDeleteI was surprised about the cinnamon too.
DeleteWell, there is a lot that can be salvaged from what we ordinarily discard. Pineapple tea sounds interesting.
ReplyDeleteThat's very interesting. I would never have thought to use the peel.
ReplyDeleteAs the price of food goes up I am trying to look at what I discard in a creative way.
DeleteYou can plant the pineapple crown in a pot to grow into a plant. i have even had them produce a little (non edible) baby pineapple.
ReplyDeleteI did that once. The problem is that in my area the plant has to be brought inside for winter.
DeleteI had no idea you could do that.
ReplyDeleteMe neither until I researched it.
DeleteI bet that smelled really good when it was simmering!
ReplyDeleteYes!
DeleteThis is such a cool kitchen experiment! I love the idea of turning pineapple peel and cores into something delicious instead of just tossing them. Good to know about the cinnamon stick vs. the powder, too—no one likes sludge at the bottom of a good cup of tea! It sounds like a perfect summer drink.
ReplyDeleteIt was tasty both hot and cold.
DeleteI am going to try this! It sounds so refreshing and delicious. I don’t like cinnamon dregs in the bottom of my cups either.
ReplyDeleteI hope you like it as much as I did.
DeleteNice Post. Greetings from Timor Leste.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I have to admit I wasn't sure where Timor Leste was, but my friend Google was able to tell me :-)
DeleteThat is wonderful. I love that.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteThis is so interesting. I would never have thought of doing that although my husband used to just like chewing on the core. Gosh! We haven't had a fresh pineapple in years... since my husband's good friend passed away. He grew the sweetest pineapples in his garden. I wasn't fond of trimming the pineapples since I worked for 3 summers at the Dole Pineapple factory before going to college.
ReplyDeleteI think peeling the pineapples is the hardest part.
DeleteWonderful idea to have a fun drink. The core though, I eat that. Yum.
ReplyDeleteThe core is too hard and stringy for me.
Deletesounds fun cup of drink you made dear Kathy :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds amazing!
ReplyDelete