- Minnesota There are over 11,000 lakes in the state, giving it more shoreline than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined
- North Dakota The International Peace Garden Chapel sits right on the United States/Canadian border, and you can walk between the two countries inside the building
- Kansas The Monument Rocks (also known as the Chalk Pyramids) are a series of 70-foot-tall chalk formations located in the northwestern part of the state.
- Utah Is the only state in the country where every single county contains a portion of a national forest.
- Texas The state is larger than any country in Europe
Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) left a comment on my last post saying when I wrote about Texas she'd be down for joining us for some brisket. I would have been down for that, too, but at dinner time the 'real feel' temperature was 105 degrees and I decided it was too hot to leave the house. Instead, I settled for tortilla chips and salsa (which was officially designated as the Texas State Snack in 2003).

I did not know that about Minnesota. My husband's parents came from Kansas.
ReplyDeleteYou've got a lot of the country in your background.
DeleteI don't think we in UK have any true understanding of the sheer size of the USA. Texas is a case in point. It is enormous!
ReplyDeleteI've never driven through Texas, but spent the better part of a day getting from one portion of California to the other, and it would have taken several more hours to finish the state off.
DeleteIt was around the same temperature here this week too.
ReplyDeleteDo you ever get used to the heat?
DeleteOh my, that is HOT!!! Even chips and salsa sound hot on a 105 day. I didn't know about the N. Dakota Peace Garden that connects two countries! That's incredible. I'm going to google the monument rocks.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't heard about the Peace Garden either.
DeleteHappy July 4th!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteEven tho' I didn't grow up there, Texas feels like my heart's home. Proud to have spent a big chunk of my life there. There's truly nothing like it.
ReplyDeleteLarge swaths of the state are on my bucket list.
DeleteIt is true what one commenter was saying about the UK and US and sizes. And now with the World Cup some are saying that they can't believe how big it is over here and how long to travel to get even across some states. And I love, love, love how much many of the out of country folks are enjoying their time and the food. Very fun to see these kinds of videos. LOOOOVE salsa!
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, there's not a savory dish that couldn't be improved without a spoonful of salsa or dash of hot sauce.
Delete