Friday, March 22, 2019

A Parking Miracle

Yesterday I had an appointment at an apartment building downtown. In theory, there should have been two reserved parking spaces right in front of the building. However, those were already taken, so I had to drive around looking for other options.

The hourly rate in the garages I passed was more than I wanted to spend. I would have to use a meter, but I didn't have any change to feed it. Eventually after driving around for several blocks I found a spot with a meter that took credit cards.

There was only one problem. The spot had cars in front of it and behind it. I rarely have to parallel park, and since I never practice I don't do it well. As a matter of fact, I usually go to great lengths to avoid having to do it, but time was running out and this was my only option.

Crossing my fingers, I pulled up even with the car in front of the spot, then put the car into reverse, turned my wheel to the right, then to the left when I was halfway in. Much to my surprise the car slid neatly into the space right next to the curb!

Wikipedia
Five years ago today: Mapping Of The Cat Brain

12 comments:

  1. That's because your car is red. It would not have happened with another colour.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you realise, if you turn this image upside down, the car would not be able to parallel park; no matter what colour it is. Try it. I did ...

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. You must have a special touch. I tried to rotate the graphic, only to be told that wasn't possible.

      Delete
    3. Turn the monitor upside down!

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. That's exactly how it's done. I'm so good I can parallel park from the driver's side too. I must admit, my car is red. Red cars draw male attention, so you are perfect on the first time, to prove you are a good driver. Sadly, it does not work for men in red cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My actual car isn't red, but maybe I had so much luck because I was in a red car frame of mind.

      Delete
  3. Bravo! I couldn't have done that, even if I practiced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there’s anything that would give me anxiety, parallel parking would be at the top of my list. As long as I can start out with no one behind be I might be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that having someone who wants to keep going just behind you is the worst!

      Delete
  5. Well done! People are in such a rush these days, there is such pressure.

    ReplyDelete