Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Am I Right, Or Are You?

In the past couple of weeks I've talked about cell phones with sales associates at several stores. When speaking about the newest iPhone I refer to it as the Ten, with the X standing in for the Roman numeral. However, I've noticed that most of the associates call it the Ex, as in the alphabet letter.

Normally I would expect someone who works in a store to be the expert so the first time it happened I was taken aback. When I got home I researched the topic and discovered that (according to the Apple website) I was correct. Now when someone calls the phone by the wrong name I roll my eyes and pretend they pronounced it the right way. Life is too short to worry about things like that.


Five years ago today: What Are The Odds? (Big Apple Chronicles-Day 5)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing this out, my instinct is to just read it as 'x'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one problem with calling it the 10, is that they have not yet released the 9. ;) But a quick google for the answer says Apple has made it clear it is meant to be 10 not X.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's flaky how they passed 9 over in their numbering :-)

      Delete
  3. And I'm a Motorola android and not a clue what version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've called it a 10, however not interested in getting one. I bought an SE a few months ago when Terry needed to replace his iPhone. He always takes my hand-me-down. I went into the Apple store, pulled out my 5S and told the clerk I wanted one similar in size. She pulled out the SE and we made all the change over right there. Took about 10 minutes. I want a small phone that fits in my pants pocket. The 10 is just too big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phone I have now is about the same size as the X. It fits in the back pocket of my pants, and in a pinch the front pocket (although that's a little uncomfortable).

      Delete
  5. I get so confused with modern technology. When my phone rings I press the wrong button and take a photo of my ear.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my husband got the iPhone 8 recently and his Apple ID and mine got mixed up and now my computer is all screwy. Arrrrghhh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! Hope things are straightened up soon.

      Delete
  7. Interesting. I had to think about what I say. I think I've said iPhone X as the way it says on the box. And I think if I wanted one and went in the store I'd probably say "the X" but I did think of it as the 10th model even though there wasn't a 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using the number to identify the phone makes sense to me, since that's how they identified all the other ones.

      Delete