As we boarded the plane Tony walked ahead of me. We were almost to our row when I heard someone call his name. There, already seated, was another couple we knew. Their son had been in Son Tony's class in elementary school. Even back then he had a wonderful singing voice, and I'd heard through the grapevine he'd chosen a career in musical theater. His parents were going to see his latest play. Their seats were one row ahead of ours on the opposite side of the aisle, so over the next few hours we caught up on what their family was up to. Shortly before the plane landed and we said our goodbyes they gave us a nice list of restaurants to try.
After the first encounter I'd texted Brian and Donald telling them who I'd seen. After the second I texted again, this time adding Tony to the distribution list. Then I turned off my phone. When we arrived in New York I turned it back on and found a text from Brian suggesting that if I'd played my connections right I could have gotten dinner and a show.
|St. Patrick's Cathedral|
- Flight to New York
- Took shuttle to bus terminal, then walked to hotel and checked in
- Had lunch at a nearby Cuban restaurant
- Explored Times Square and Rockefeller Center
- Window shopped down Fifth Avenue to Central Park.
- Stopped and bought some fruit from a sidewalk cart.
- Got caught in a rainstorm on the way back to the hotel
- Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- Ate at a "white tablecloth" Chinese place for dinner
Five years ago today: New Thing #132--Mayhem in the Midwest