Thursday, December 22, 2011

(Not) The Shortest Day Of The Year!

The winter solstice, which marks the beginning of winter and the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, was yesterday at 11:30 p.m in my area.  Now, even though we're in for many months of cold, dreary days before Spring gets here, Ill be focusing on the positive...each day will be a bit longer than the one before it.

I Heard a Bird Sing 
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December
A magical thing
And sweet to remember. 
'We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,'
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December. 
 Oliver Herford

2 comments:

  1. Kathy I love the short poem! Ahhh yes, we are approaching the coldest days of the year, so far we've had amazingly beautiful weather here for this time of year. I'll post some outdoor shots and some of last year, there's no comparison. Last year I was digging my way out of places, this year it's slush and a wee bit of snow. I'm not complaining by no means, this is nice!

    Yikes, shortest day of the year... that means we're not far from it so I'd best get my day going here or I'll run out of a day! LOL

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete