Remember the volunteer tomato plant that I discovered at the beginning of June?
It turned out to be a Roma. It's all grown up, and sporting a couple of dozen fruits in various stages of growth. I picked the first one today. Sadly, it had a crack down one side. It's just a cosmetic defect, though; the tomato still tasted good. All my tomato plants are growing together, and it's hard to tell where one stops and the next one starts.
Here's the tropical section of the deck, where a pineapple, philodendron, and ginger plant mingle with a spider plant in a hanging basket:
I put the plants on the deck in the spring. Then the weather turned cool and I had to bring them in. I repeated the process two more times before they were permanently out. They didn't grow in the cooler weather; however, this month they're thriving. The pineapple is sporting several new sets of leaves (which grow from the center). There are some roots peeking out of the holes at the bottom of the pot. Time to repot it! When the ginger went on the deck, it was just a sprout. Now it's got multiple stems, and they just keep getting taller. The philodendron's stems are getting long. One of them is close to three feet in length. At the end of the summer I'll snip them off and pot them up in their own container.