Today I extinguished a candle with my fingers.
This activity was on my original list of Things to do, but I never got around to it, because I was scared that I'd burn my fingers. However, today I decided to stop being a chicken and complete the task.
I've watched people do this before, so I know that the trick is to get your fingers wet before you touch the flame. The liquid adds a protective layer of water so your skin won't get burned. After your fingers are wet, you grab the wick and then release it quickly.
I got a votive candle out of the dining room, set it on the island in the kitchen, then lit it. After a couple of minutes of psyching myself up, I stuck my fingers in my mouth and pinched the candle wick. It went out with a sizzle; I guess I had really wet fingers!
My fear turned out to be groundless. It didn't hurt at all. As a matter of fact it was so cool that I repeated the whole process again.