Saturday, August 8, 2026

Too Soon?

I abhor seeing Halloween things when summer isn't even close to being over, but the other day in the greeting card section of the grocery store I walked by a card that looked like someone snuck into my house and used Foster Cat Smokey Joe as a model for a cute vampire cat.

It only cost 99 cents, so I thought it would be fun to send a card to each California family. But I left card-less that day because it wasn't anywhere close to Halloween. However, when I got home I realized the card might be out of stock when I wanted it, so today I went and purchased two.

The full service checkout line was long. At the self-service section the attendant noticed my purchase and wondered out loud why I would be making it so early. When I told him he just smiled and shook his head.

Both cards are now in my October tickler file, ready to address, stamp, and mail when the time is right.

Five years ago: Once Every 200 Years

27 comments:

  1. He does look like Smokey Joe. How strange to comment that you were starting Hallowe'en early, when the shop was selling Hallowe'en things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This attendant is nice, but a little on the strange side.

      Delete
  2. It’s so lovely that you’re sending cards!
    Yes, it was smart to get them now while the price is good—after all,
    it’ll be October soon!
    Have a wonderful new week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have done the same -- those cards will be long gone by October.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never know if things will be in stock when you return so you did good in going ahead and making your purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy cards whenever I see ones that appeal. I have a box that the cards go in and then when I need one, I just check and usually find the perfect one to send. However, I haven't been doing as much shopping in the last few years and my card supply has dwindled to almost nothing! I went looking a couple of days ago for a birthday card to send to our son-in-law's mom whose birthday is one week after mine. I had to use the last suitable card in my stash, said stash down to nothing! Greeting cards cost so much now. You were smart to get those 50 cent cards when you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, each card was 99 cents, but they've gotten so expensive I thought that price was a deal.

      Delete
  6. Good idea, Kathy!
    .... and you've a tickler file as well? It's my BFF and honestly, I thought I was the only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tickler file goes back so long the original one fell apart.

      Delete
  7. Much too soon for Halloween, but for organized folks like you, kinda perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean, I saw some Christmas stuff in boxes, ready to be shelved in Walmart last week. I have a feral cat that looks like that, too. His name is Barack. The black female kitten from a younger litter is Michelle. I think I will continue with naming the cats after presidents and their wives. Bill and Hilary, George and Laura. I once had a pet pig named George and a pet rooster named Herbert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youngest Son has two dogs he inherited from a former roommate. The black one was given the full name of the 44th president (Barack Hussein Obama). He has shortened it to Rocko.

      Delete
  9. The card is too cute. It's never too early for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you're a big fan of the holiday.

      Delete
  10. Perfect you are all set! Take your time coming Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now that I've purchased the cards the event can take it's time coming.

      Delete
  11. Love the card. I’m loving the early Halloween here. My black cat already has a bat costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never put a costume on a cat and probably never will "-)

      Delete
  12. That is well organised. I would forget I'd bought the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're housed in the October folder, which I will check at the end of September. The big challenge will be to keep them somewhere for a couple of weeks.

      Delete
  13. Very cute card! It's been my experience that if you see it and want it then buy it because if you wait it will be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summerween. Though for me, never too early for spooky silly fun. Plus, I find the best stuff way before Sept.

    ReplyDelete