Thursday, August 13, 2026

Unexpected Undertakings

Even though I don't really believe in them, I scan through my horoscope in my newspaper every morning. today's was worth a little closer reading:

CAPRICORN (Dec 22-Jan 19) Do something different today.You feel the need for adventure! Shake things up a little! Travel plans will appeal. Tonight: Explore and learn something new.

Unfortunately, today was not the best day for me to be spontaneous. I had several computer tasks that had to be done. Hubby Tony had some commitments and couldn't join me in adventure. On top of those issues, the area's extreme heat warning meant that any big outside activities were off the table. I had to settle for shaking things up in tiny ways, but I did my best.

  • Thanks to the weather it was yet another walk at the mall day. Tony and I both took our cars so we could head different directions afterwards. We did our normal laps before the stores opened, then he left for his meeting and I completed an additional lap, stepping into a couple of stores to see what was new.
  • My first stop after the mall was at a gas station to take advantage of a drink promotion they offer when the baseball Cardinals score six runs the day before. I always get the same type of coffee, but today I sampled a flavored one before deciding I didn't like the taste and filling my cup with the usual.
  • The next stop was getting a hair cut at a chain salon. When I went to the website to check in for a visit at my usual location I noticed there was a 15 minute wait, but if I drove five minutes to the east I could get a cut with no wait. Guess which one I chose?
  • My last stop was the grocery store, where I walked the aisles in reverse order and looked at items I had never seen before.
  • The afternoon was filled with non-adventurous tasks, but I did help Tony with some travel plans- figuring out the rental car details for our next visit to California months from now.
  • Tony had a dinner meeting so I was on my own. I put together a surprisingly good meal from things around the house. I stared with lightly steamed cabbage, which I tossed with smashed avocado and topped with canned chili beans and salsa.
  • After dinner I turned on the PBS News Hour, which always gives me information on current and new topics.
Five years ago: Just Doing His Job

No comments:

Post a Comment