We lived with the issues for years, but eventually refurbishing the piece made it to the top of the project list. I contacted a company that had done fantastic work for us in the past. They had an interesting, multiple step procedure:
- Send an email with photos and an explanation of the work requested.
- Receive an email estimate.
- Accept the estimate and get on their future work list
- Be contacted to schedule appointment to pick up desk.
- Desk picked up from house.
- Desk delivered to house.
Good craftsmanship takes time. Once we accepted the estimate, there was a a four to five month wait until the work would be done. After the desk was picked up it was gone for six weeks. During that time its contents lived in two large plastic tubs on the living room floor. Finally we received notification that the company was ready to deliver the finished desk.
Everything I asked for had been done. The cracks in the drop down had been filled. The key once again fit into the ornamental plate.The back no longer had a loosely hanging piece of wood. All of the drawers pushed in flush with the body of the desk. Per instructions, they did not refinish the desk, but instead gave it a good restoration and cleaning.
Now every day I get to enjoy our newly-renovated heirloom.
Five years ago: How Hot Is It?

This is so wonderful that you found a service to do the restoration-so worth it in the end. I love your piece-Enjoy
ReplyDeleteThere are definitely fewer furniture refinishing and restoration places than there used to be.
DeleteThat is good news. I'm sure you look at your refurbished furniture with increased pleasure now,.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I open a drawer or cabinet that functions well!
DeleteIt looks fabulous!-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful desk and family heirloom that can be passed from generation to generation,
ReplyDeleteI don't know if any of our kids will want it, but if not, hopefully someone else will see the value in it.
DeleteThat's a beautiful piece of furniture!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful piece of furniture and how fortuitous of you to keep it looking so good. I'm hopeful one of your grandchildren is going to be pleased to call it theirs one day.
ReplyDeleteWe can only hope that it stays in the family.
DeleteThere is nothing quite like quality vintage oak furniture! It’s fantastic that you found craftsmen who took the time to fix the cracks and mechanics while keeping its original patina intact.
ReplyDeleteSo glad Tony’s great-aunt’s secretary desk is back home and ready to be used and admired every single day. A true labor of love!
The living room did not look right without it.
DeleteIt's beautiful! Given this 'disposable' age in which we live, I'm so glad you and your hubby invested in honoring its craftsmanship.
ReplyDeleteI think you would have done the same thing :-)
DeleteAs an amateur who has refinished lots of furniture pieces, this looks fantastic! Doing this kind of work is an act of love, iyam. Did you know that you can watch people restore furniture on YouTube? (It's one of my favourite TV "programs.")
ReplyDeleteI may or may not have watched quite a few furniture refinishing videos.
DeleteBeautiful! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful piece.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful piece! And how fortunate you are to have inherited it.
ReplyDeleteIt was good to read that you choose to restore and repair this vintage secretary rather than discard it. The results were well worth the wait and the cost, I had my late mother's fur stole refashioned into a teddy bear, so i can totally understand..
ReplyDeleteI remember reading about your mother's fur stole.
DeleteIts so beautiful! I've always wanted something that opens with a skeleton key. I'd love to walk up to my car and unlock it with one!
ReplyDeleteSkeleton keys are certainly a step back in time.
DeleteI love that, it's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the loveliest restorations I’ve seen!! Taking your time, knowing what you envisioned plus finding the perfect place to have the work done paid off💥🥰
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words.
Delete