Monday, August 3, 2026

Rambling For Resensation

This afternoon I had a dentist appointment to begin the process of replacing a deteriorating crown.

The first step was to numb the area thoroughly, and when the appointment was finished I could tell I would be numb for quite some time. I asked the dental assistant if there were any tips for getting the novocaine to wear off quicker. She said the process was dependent on the patient's metabolic rate, but in general increasing the heart rate (by running or brisk walking) would help.

Because it was too hot to walk outside I decided to go to the mall a half mile from my house. I knew that a large portion of the parking garage I usually use is being renovated, so I drove halfway around the structure and parked at a far end. Even though it was quite a distance from an entrance I was surprised at how many cars were there.

I've heard for years that malls are dying, and several in the metropolitan area have closed. However, even though this mall has several empty storefronts, right now there are four new stores going in and another storefront has a drywall construction barricade, which means work on it will be starting shortly. 

Easy-Peasey.AI
Although there were quite a few people there I was able to walk fast enough that I felt my heart rate increase a bit. I did three laps (two on the first floor and one on the second floor) before my feet started to hurt and it was time to head home.

I have no idea if my walk actually helped the anti-numbing process, but it felt good to get some exercise.

14 comments:

  1. It’s sad to see shops closed, though I’m glad some are opening too! Generally, I don’t know what kind of era of online shopping we’re heading into! Of course, no one knows how this will play out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels funny when our mouths are frozen, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I went to the dentist yesterday for what I thought was the same issue....For me..My dentist wanted to know if I had been under stress...it looks like I had been grinding or gritting me teeth on the left side. I know that feeling of numbness all too well and it does last a good while. In our area the Malls are changing to outdoor malls. We have a new one that is only about 8 miles away...It is very nice but I sure miss the air conditioning in a closed in mall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little stress going on in your world right now!

      Delete
  4. Although I rarely go to the major indoor mall here in Fresno, we almost always stop at Hillsdale Mall when in San Mateo. There is a Nordstroms there, and a really good food court. We always walk from one end to the other, now trying to keep my 17-minute mile rate. It really is a good place to walk and see interesting sights and people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no longer enjoy walking in heat that wouldn't have bothered me a couple of years ago, so I am spending substantial time at the mall.

      Delete
  5. Shops seem to be closing all over the place, in malls, in high streets. It's sad to see them shut up and gathering flyers inside the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally try to buy from brick and mortar stores whenever possible, but I think that makes me a dinosaur.

      Delete
  6. I've never cared for malls. I grew up when going downtown to shop was the thing to do! I remember when they started building them all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a downtown shopping area, but sadly there aren't many in my area.

      Delete
  7. All the best with the crown replacement

    ReplyDelete
  8. We still visit malls occasionally too and have noticed similar things and yes, even though I'm not a fan of shopping, they do enable lots of steps. Good luck with your crown.

    ReplyDelete