Friday, September 6, 2019

There's A Guy For That

Our quest to get our house ready to put on the market continues.

The first thing was to get rid of 26 years of accumulation. For the past three weeks we've set out a stuffed 34-gallon recycling bin and filled trash can. Because I try not to throw things into the landfill unnecessarily, I've posted items on the free section of Craigslist. Most have been picked up. I've offered things with sentimental value to others in the extended family and taken carloads of things we won't need anymore to the thrift stores. (I'm still waiting for the boys to tell me what they want to do with their childhood and teenage mementos. One thing at a time.)

Our realtor gave us the names of contractors that she promised could do the needed work quickly.  We contacted them and set things in motion. Those two windows with broken seals and foggy panes that we've lived with for years? Gone, along with the broken sash cords that were actually a safety issue. A handyman to update the powder room and replace all the polished brass light fixtures with updated models? In process. Minor drywall repair and painting to freshen things up? Scheduled. New carpet? Measured and waiting to be installed after the painting is done.

Slowly but surely we're making progress.

Lights and ceiling fans ready to go
Five years ago today: Despicable!

15 comments:

  1. You are doing an excellent job as I would expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're moving so steadily along, it will be done sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just FEELS like it's taking forever.

      Delete
    2. When we moved, we fixed all those things that needed fixing. I just shook my head. Why didn't we do it for ourselves and not for some stranger, who will buy the house?

      Moving is hard and a bit sad. Keep on...

      Delete
    3. I've figured out that I pretty much learned to look past all the minor house issues.

      Delete
  3. Wow that's a lot of work. Have you been looking for another house?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every bit puts you a little closer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have been one busy lady, and very productive. You've gotten a whole lot done. keep up the good work!

    Wishing you a restful Saturday Night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I'm taking your advice and resting :-)

      Delete
    2. Good for you! You deserve it after all that you've done. I hope you rest well.Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you're getting a lot done. We're not quite thinking of moving yet (well, seriously anyway) but I do think of clearing out some of the clutter in anticipation of that day. So far all I've accomplished is raising my stress level just at the though of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our basement is where all the clutter lands. I think I've cleaned it four times in the last decade. Each time I've been able to let go of more things.

      Delete