Wednesday, October 16, 2013

STUPID!

A couple approached me at the Customer Service desk and asked if there was a spot in the mall they could exchange euros for dollars. There isn't, but I did a Google search and found the closest place for them.

The computer was running slow, so while I was waiting for the information I asked them where they were from and what brought them to the area. They replied they were from Slovania and had come to sightsee in the States. In St. Louis they had been looking forward to seeing the Gateway Arch.

But the Arch and its grounds are part of the National Park Service, which is closed due to the partial shutdown of the federal government. Tourists who flew halfway around the world to see an attraction couldn't cross it off their bucket list thanks to politcians who can't work together.

Getting off the soapbox now...

Five years ago today: New Thing #279--Mixed Ticket

9 comments:

  1. Stupid is the perfect title. So unfortunate and such an embarrassment to our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost don't want to type this for fear of jinxing things, but it sounds like the mess may be coming to an end :-)

      Delete
  2. I agree! And what burns me is the brats causing this aren't out a cent during the fracas as they have covered their butts before hand. Personally I think they should be locked in on their respective floors until an agreement is hammered out...and their assets frozen until such time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would add all kind of other adjectives like irresponsible, selfish, idiotic, childish... Then again STUPID says it all. So I suppose they'll pass the raising of the debt ceiling, but we have to go through this idiocy again in February, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think they'll get their act together this time, but I'm not optimistic.

      Delete
  4. We have two national parks in our backyard...Yosemite and Sequoia-Kings Canyon--and both were closed for 16 days. The closure has sure hurt the local economy, keeping tourists from spending those euros.

    ReplyDelete