Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Presentation Is Everything....

I ate lunch early today, then got dressed and went to work. When my boss offered me a break mid-afternoon I was hungry, so I wandered down to the food court to see what I could get for a snack that would be relatively healthy.

After checking out all the options I decided to get an order of edamame at the sushi restaurant. Unfortunately they were out. They did have miso soup, so I decided that would be an acceptable substitute.

At other Japanese fast-food places I've eaten at they ladle the miso soup out of a large urn. It usually has large pieces of seaweed and tofu floating in chicken broth. I was shocked to watch them 'prepare' the soup today by pouring packets of freeze-dried mix into a styrofoam container and adding boiling water.  They handed it to me and said I should make sure to stir it well before I ate it.

The soup tasted OK, especially after the vegetables and tiny cubes of tofu reconstituted, but their presentation certainly left a lot to be desired!

Five years ago today: New Thing #272--Get The Lead Out

12 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could have walked away with the cup. On the other hand, I have been that hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it was a live-and-learn situation. I certainly won't be ordering that soup again!

      Delete
  2. YIPES!.....so sorry. I have a hard time not accepting less that acceptable.....smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love miso soup, but it has a lot of sodium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does, but I don't eat a lot of salt and it was worth the 'splurge'. Plus, it was healthier than just about anything else I could find in the food court.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear...they could have at least done that without you looking! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah that would have been disappointing to see. You could have brought your own Miso packet to work if that's what they were serving. Now I shall go "microwave" me some edamame ;-) Once I knew how simple that was, I never order it for an appetizer anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually brought edamame for an afternoon snack today! The frozen stuff is already blanched, so I just pour the beans in a container when I'm making my lunch, add kosher salt, and they're ready to eat after they thaw.

      Delete
  6. Good grief! Miso soup from a package? That's pretty darn awful. I'm going to have to come back to see all your posts more leisurely. My life is so incredibly hectic right now. It's in a good way, but it doesn't leave me time to do much of anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing you when you come back :-)

      Delete