The mother plant lasted longer than I thought it would, though, and three new shoots appeared at the base. Although the leaves got quite floppy they stayed green until a couple of weeks ago. I finally cut them off, and waited for a day when I had time to deal with the rest of the project.
I took the pot outside and did my work in the grass so I wouldn't have to clean up any mess. Here's a 'before' picture:
|You can see two of the three new shoots|
First I turned the pot upside down and dumped the plant out. The shoots were pretty small, but I went ahead with my project anyway. I used a steak knife to cut the pups away from the dead mother plant, leaving a bit of a stem on the new pup.
|pups repotted and fertilized|
It would be awesome if I got new plants from this, but I don't have high hopes. As I said in my original post, "The plant will either thrive, or it can go in the compost pile"
Five years ago today: New Thing #178--It's Only Rock and Roll