Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Shoe Tune-Up

My work shoes are black Mary Janes with microfiber uppers, polyurethane bottoms, and Velcro straps.  They're so comfortable that I bought a second pair when the first one wore out

Aetrex

The second pair is almost a year old.  I've taken good care of them, and I think they have quite a bit of wear left.  However, the straps had stretched out so my feet were wiggling around when I walked.  In addition, the Velcro on the end of the straps was worn and didn't stick like it used to.

After work one day I stopped by a shoe repair shop to see if anything could be done.  The cobbler told me he could take care of both issues by removing the old Velcro, cutting off the end of the strap, and adding new fastening tape for much less than the cost of new shoes.

Original detail on the strap

I had another pair of shoes with me, so I took off the work ones and handed them over. When I picked them up a couple of days later they were perfect!  The shorter straps hold my feet tightly, and the new Velcro never comes loose. 

Repaired strap

Now that my shoes are repaired I have some time to think about what I want in my next pair of work shoes.  When I get them.

Five years ago today: New Thing #286--So, What's It Like?

9 comments:

  1. Nice! The Mister just had his favorite leather loafers resoled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much rather refurbish something I know is comfortable than buy something new.

      Delete
  2. fantastic! I've bought the same shoe twice over, they were naturalizers. I've eventually moved on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll probably try to find something different when I buy new ones. Then again, I tried last year and didn't have any luck :-)

      Delete
  3. It is so hard to find comfort in a shoe. When I wear a comfy pair out, I almost want to cry! Now I kknow what I should do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea you had to try to give it new life. When you have a comfortable shoe, you want to use it as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete