Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Toodle-oo

At the beginning of the month Hubby Tony and I heard that someone was interested in possibly adopting Foster Cat Smokey Joe. We set up a meet and greet, which went well. However, the adopter took her time completing the paperwork and it wasn't until today that the contract was signed and I received an email that the she would like to pick him up this evening.

It took about an hour for the adopter and her boyfriend to arrive. During that time I packed up a couple of Smokey Joe's favorite toys to send with him. Both Tony and I took turns playing with him. When his new 'parents' arrived they brought a cool-looking backpack cat carrier. We chatted for a little while about some of Smokey Joe's likes and dislikes, took a photo of them sitting on the couch with their new family member, then helped them get the cat in the carrier.

When Smokey Joe was gone I sent an email to the shelter telling them that we were ready for a new foster cat, then sent the same information to the family text group and posted it on Facebook. I can't wait to see what our new foster cat is like.
Bye! Good luck!
Five years ago today: Cup Of Joe

35 comments:

  1. I hope Smokey Joe will be very happy with his new family! He is a worthy and deserving cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's beautiful. I hope he has a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a good job of posing for the photo, didn't he?

      Delete
  3. I am hoping too that Smokey loves his new home-that will be an adjustment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be his third home (at a minimum). We don't know his early life, but he was brought over to the shelter we work with from Illinois late last year. He is too tame to have been feral, so must have had an original family. We would have been the second, and now he's on to the third.

      Delete
  4. It would be so hard to let go of those kitties. You are doing a wonderful thong for Smokey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard, but it's also exciting to welcome a new cat into the house.

      Delete
  5. Smokey Joe is a very handsome kitty. I hope he’s happy in his new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He adjusted so smoothly to life in our place I have to think he will do the same in a new location.

      Delete
  6. This works well for you! Foster parents.-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Except for the disappointment of letting go.

      Delete
  7. You did well in fostering Smokey Joe and I wonder if his hew owners will change his name. Looking forward to reading about your next foster feline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adopters told us his new name, which I promptly forgot, but it includes the name we gave him when he came to our house.

      Delete
  8. Smokey Joe is absolutely stunning! Fostering is a wonderful alternative to adoption, and the cats really appreciate the love and care we provide for them. Congratulations to you for all you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the cats we've owned have lived approximately 20 years, and we weren't ready for that type of commitment. Fostering scratches the feline itch.

      Delete
  9. OHHHH. Smokey Joe has found his home and let me tell you...he will be missed in the blogging world. I'm happy that he has his forever home. Now, to see what little kitty will find it's way to you all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news...a bit sad though too, I'd bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a couple of times today I was sure I saw the cat walking down the hall.

      Delete
  11. I'm glad he got his forever home. I'm sure it's hard to let the fosters go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but exciting to think about the next one.

      Delete
  12. Oh, you must be so happy to know he is going to a good home but also a bit sad to see him go. Beautiful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Letting go without the visit to the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this Kathy! This is something my husband I need to consider one day. I do get awfully attached but one has to look at the bigger picture and that this isn't about me. Its about rescuing an animal and loving on him/her as they wait for their forever home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We knew that we weren't ready for 20-year or more commitment, and fostering has scratched the cat itch.

      Delete
  15. Aww! Good luck to your little void.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go, Smokey Joe! It’s always tough to say goodbye, but seeing him head off with loving parents and his favorite toys makes it all worth it.

    Love that you instantly contacted the shelter to say the inn has an open room. You and Tony do such fantastic work for these cats.

    Best of luck to Smokey Joe in his new home, and I’m looking forward to seeing who steps up as your next foster roommate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope Smokey Joe is happy in his new home!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would consider fostering if I didn't have 10 cats in the yard! I miss Kevin every day. His sweet personality was a perfect fit here. Ginger is coming along and is still enamored with Charming Eddie. Sadly, he does not feel the same for her! He finds her constant attention annoying. She sat by the water dish this morning washing Eddie's face as he drank. To his credit he did not growl at her, but he did not enjoy her attention!

    ReplyDelete
  19. very lovely and sweet dear Kathy
    hope Smokey enjoys his new home and parents and you find your new cute pet soon !

    ReplyDelete