However, after the last few wash cycles even after I removed the hair and cat fur that tend to clog the drainage hole, the rubber gasket had some standing water in the bottom.
I did a little research and learned that the washer had a drain pump filter that collects lint and items like loose buttons and change. According to the online tutorial, I should have been cleaning it out on a monthly basis. Oops!
|
| LG |
I carefully pulled the drain hose into the pan and removed its plug. About a cup of water drained out, then I plugged the hose up again and reinserted it back into its place. That process took care of the pooled water in the gasket, but I figured I should also take a look at the drain pump filter.
After placing a towel under the access panel to sop up any water from the filter I turned the stopper counter clockwise to remove it. The drain pump filter was in surprisingly good shape for never having been cleaned out . I used a tissue to remove clumps of slimy-looking goo and washed the filter off in the sink.The last step was to reinstall the drain pump filter into the hole, close up the access panel, and pat myself on the back.
Five years ago: What's It Going To Take?
I wish it was that easy on my washer. I have to pull the washer out and remove the back panel to access the filter.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a pain!
DeleteI must get the manual out! Good advice.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could find the manual for the washer if my life depended on it. Good thing the Internet was there.
DeleteGood for you!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like I have some maintenance to do on my machines.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips.
I like how we help each other out in Blogville.
DeleteWell done. You were very smart to look it all up online and find your solution.
ReplyDeleteOur dishwasher has been giving us a bit of trouble the last couple of years with a message flashing on the display panel--FTD. I wondered if it meant we had a floral order coming. Turns out it means FAIL TO DRAIN and that means the initial rinse to check for how dirty the load is not getting through the drain to be read by the computer. First time we called the service technician who took care of it. The second time Terry knew what to take apart and clean out the drain. We've decided to change dishwasher detergent that is supposed to do a better job of cleaning this particular drain. We shall see...
Terry was smart to watch and see how to take care of the issue.
DeleteI should check my washer out. I don't think there is any kind of drain filter on it though!
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure my old top loading model didn't have one.
DeleteThankfully, we do not have to clean the washer as we live in an apt with a common laundry room. That said, I don't know if anyone from the appliance service company services the units. Years ago, apt maintenance was responsible for issues but in recent years there is an outside company.
ReplyDeleteAs much as I would enjoy offloading the servicing of laundry appliances I don't think I could get used to having to walk down the hall to do the job.
DeleteI live in a 6th floor apartment building and I don't take care of the machines, but this is a very good post! Thank you so much for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome!
DeleteIt's always nice when we can figure out how to do something ourselves.
ReplyDeleteI agree.
DeleteGood for you, Kathy! Offhand, I can think of a dozen things I'd rather attempt. Instruction manuals and me aren't friends!
ReplyDeleteI thought the instructions on the website were very easy to follow. The nice graphic was a bonus.
DeleteYou're hired! ;)
ReplyDelete:-)
DeleteYep ... they put that tube so low down so that you cannot fit a saucer underneath it and the water goes all over the floor.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
At least my drain had a hose long enough to fit over the side of a pie plate, which caught the water.
DeleteAfter I got my new dishwasher he was showing me things that it did and had. He showed me how to remove my filter. I said why would I have to remove that? He was horrified as was I after I learned I should be doing this monthly. He told me it gets clogged and your dishes won't get clean and yada yada yada. So now I do clean it and believe you me it does get gross. I can't believe I wasn't doing this.
ReplyDeleteGAH! Another thing I always forget to clean! Heading to the kitchen now.
DeleteMy mom’s has the same issue. That must be it. Danielle
ReplyDeleteThank goodness it was an easy fix.
DeleteReally enjoyed reading this post. The explanation is clear, and the practical information makes the article much more useful than a general introduction to the topic. It also highlights a few things that people might not think about at first. Thanks for putting together such a helpful and easy-to-follow resource.
ReplyDeleteA well-deserved pat on the back I think.
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteI have to do this for my washer and it makes me nervous! But I also have the pooling issue unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about being nervous when tackling projects.
DeleteGreat job tackling that DIY project! The hidden washer filter is one of those household maintenance chores that nobody tells you about until something stops draining properly.
ReplyDeleteGetting in there with a shallow pan, clearing out the gunk, and getting it running smoothly again without having to pay a technician is a huge victory. Enjoy the fresh, puddle-free laundry loads!
I've only used the washer a couple of times since cleaning everything out, but I smile every time I see it's working the way its supposed to.
DeleteLuckily my washer and dishwasher are old enough they don't have filters.
ReplyDeleteThat dishwasher must be really old; every one I've had going back decades included a filter attached to the bottom spray arm.
DeleteKay of Musings: Oh gosh… more things to worry about. Good for you figuring it out. I’ll have to pay attention more.
ReplyDeleteOH LORDY!!! The first time I tried to empty the overflow water and the filter, I didn't have adequate toweling and wow was it ever a huge mess. I really dislike front loaders and if I could get rid of it I would. Cheers to you in Kirkwood!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI was afraid I would have the same problem as you did, but putting the hose in a pan did the trick.
Delete