At my last checkup appointment the doctor asked me if I had a designated medical power of attorney, someone who could make medical decisions for me if I become too sick or injured to make them myself? And if so could I bring a copy of the legal document in to the office?
The answers to her questions were both 'yes'. I sent myself an email to remember to find the document, but that message got buried in my Inbox. Last week when I was deleting old emails I found the message and asked Hubby Tony to pull out the paperwork for me so I could make a copy.Leafing through it, I discovered a problem. All of the basics were still correct, but many of the details were not. The contact information for Tony and the alternate attorneys (my boys) reflected where they lived 18 years ago and the phone numbers they had then. Not surprisingly, some of the other estate planning documents also had the same issue.
Tony did some research and found out a notarized addendum with the correct information was all that was needed to make simple changes. This morning we went to the bank with our addendum paperwork and took care of the last step. Fifteen minutes later we walked out the door with notarized sheets and I can take the copy to the doctor's office next time I see her.
|
| Source |
Wow, nice catch. That could have turned into a real nightmare if it had never been updated.
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about it that way, but you're certainly right.
DeleteVery good-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteAlways wise to keep such documents up to date!
ReplyDeleteI think I will put a reminder on the calendar to check for updates every couple of years going forward.
DeleteI'm glad it's all sorted for you now. Not nice but necessary to get these things done.
ReplyDeleteI agree, and it feels good to have the job done.
DeleteAll the medical stuff, power of attorney, DNR, that kind. have been updated. Our will was made when our daughter was 3. There are stipulations about who she would live with if both of us died in a trip we were taking that had some risks involved. We were young! All the real info, though, still fits. She gets it all for her care and well being. An attorney friend said we really should update it, but it would hold up in court as is.
ReplyDeleteI guess why spend the money to update something that is still acceptable.
DeleteWhat an excellent reminder for all of us, Kathy! It is so easy to tuck those heavy legal folders into a drawer and completely forget how much life changes over nearly two decades. Thank goodness Tony found out about the notarized addendum—saving a trip (and a hefty fee) to the lawyer's office is a massive win! Now you can check that completely off your to-do list before your next doctor's visit.
ReplyDeleteYou're so right about avoiding the lawyer fees!
DeleteCathy, I am so glad you posted this!!! Just now I am in the process of updates, have an appt with an attorney [which I discovered was necessary] so many changes necessary. Good to know you are good to go!!!!!!! Thanks so much for leaving me a comment on Puff Puff.
ReplyDeleteTony gave the will a once-over, but in my mind that's the most important document, so down the line we will revisit the project.
Deletewhat a great thing that you discovered the changes that needed to be made. we had all of this updated and corrected about two months ago.
ReplyDeleteI wonder how many people are sitting on paperwork that needs to be updated?
DeleteWhat an excellent reminder to update that info. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteIndeed a great reminder to update important information!
ReplyDeleteThey're so expensive now to get a DNR, needs to be a legal document, and other things, I don't have any designated anything for my end. Except I have given several people a copy of a plan for my cats. However, some of those people are now dead or moved off, so I better update that and check with the people who agreed to care for and place my cats. Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDeleteA sensible move. Not overly complicated for us but it still took ages.
ReplyDeleteThat's good you were able to get the paperwork notarized and take care of.
ReplyDelete