Saturday, July 11, 2026

No Change Needed!

I have thick hair with a mind of its own. Putting the cowlicks in their place requires the use of a brush and blow dryer. This morning I was whipping my mane into place when the blow dryer sparked and then died.

I immediately unplugged the device and thought about my next step.

The dead blow dryer predated my move to the condo, so it was at least six and a half years old, a good lifespan for a small electronic. It was the ideal device - enough watts to dry my thick hair, easy to move into different positions, and quality attachments that made the job easier. Over the years I had developed the perfect hair drying routine with it, and I wasn't excited about figuring out something different.

As one does in this internet age I started my search online. Ten minutes later I was doing a happy dance when I realized I could order the exact same model on a big box store's website and pick it up later in the day.

Five years ago today: Bathroom Humor

30 comments:

  1. After six and a half years, you get used to the feel of the blow dryer. I hope this new one brings you the same satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I used it today for the first time and it was perfect.

      Delete
  2. Great that your ordered a new one so fast. Love that. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was NO WAY I was going to go without a hair dryer!

      Delete
  3. Good to stick with what you know-Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's lucky! Glad your beautiful mane didn't catch fire either! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I hadn't thought about that possibility, but you're right!

      Delete
  5. Yay! I should use a blow dryer too instead of going to bed with a damp head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The handful of times I've gone to bed with damp hair I've woke up with it sticking out in all directions :-)

      Delete
  6. I always imagined I'd want thick Hair and envied those who had it. Now having had Dreadlocks for almost a Decade, it's much thicker and takes a very long time to dry so I have to consider that now anytime it might get wet later on. But, I do prefer it to having thin and fragile Hair that took a lot more maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't surprise me that dreads (especially thick ones like yours) would take a long time to dry.

      Delete
  7. Your post on the longevity of your blow dryer made me stop to think...The hair dryer Terry and I share has been here since I was teaching, which was 16 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I had it for about 7 years before I retired. Lord help me if I have to replace it as it is super high powered and I figure they may not even make something like that any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew exactly how long I had the replaced hair dryer, but when we moved I purged the files so it must have been old enough that the warranty didn't apply.

      Delete
  8. It's nice to have a familiar device, one you don't have to relearn. The internet is great for finding that. I have two cowlicks, one at the crown of my head, one up front. I battle them constantly, especially the crown one, because people will claim I have a bald spot, which is embarrassing. Just a problematic cowlick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately my cowlicks are on the sides of my head so the only issue is that the hair sticks out at a weird angle.

      Delete
  9. That's a good result. Change isn't always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I know this giddy feeling...as my prescription changed, I have replaced my eyewear lenses with the same frames twice, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you :-) I get new frames every time because my prescription seems to change every two years and by that time I'm tired of looking at the old ones

      Delete
  11. Finding the exact same hair dryer was a very good thing, Kathy. Thankfully, i have had one for nearly 10 years and it's still working. I try to air dry my hair as often as possible. It's not thick or long and definitely thinning, so it's no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air drying is definitely healthier for hair.

      Delete
  12. I never used to blow dry my hair but it's vital now to have any sort of control over it! Glad you could get the same model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thrilled the past two days when I turn the hair dryer on :-)

      Delete
  13. It's those little things that can make your day!

    ReplyDelete