At one of the local grocery stores the meat department had packaged 'fixings' (lettuce, sliced onion, and sliced tomato) stocked next to the ground burger patties. The packages had a hefty fee added for convenience, but there was also no waste if you were only making a couple of burgers.
When I was in Switzerland earlier in the summer we had lunch at a restaurant recommended by our tour guide. The inside was very much like an old-style beer hall, and the menu was equally old style. My veal sausage with bread turned out to be a link about 15 inches long with a toothpick Swiss flag stuck into it, a piece of crusty bread, and a package of spicy mustard.For a while it seemed like the local Aldi had an issue with carrot quality control. Instead of a bag filled with normal slim, straight carrots I found this one with 'legs' and stub 'arms'.
And then a short time later this multi-trunked carrot showed up in another bag. The interesting thing is the each of them tasted perfectly fine.
This unique entree started with a bed of polenta, which was topped with a thick slab of perfectly-cooked cauliflower, and garnished with pomegranate seeds and parsley.
Five years ago: Somebody's Got To Win. Right?





I am forever fascinated by food; it's art, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteIt is!
DeleteYour carrots are dancing! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about it that way but you're right!
DeleteInteresting photographs. The carrots win the prize for the most entertaining, though.
ReplyDeleteMother Nature certainly knows how to do variety.
DeleteI can't wait for pomegranites to come in season. I love them, add their seeds to everything, pretty much. I've tried making cauliflower or cabbage "steaks" without much luck.
ReplyDeleteI love pomegranates too, but they're a lot of work.
DeleteThat jaunty little Swiss flag on that otherwise horribly presented food order made me laugh!
ReplyDeleteI know!
DeleteInteresting photos.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. Those are interesting photos. Freaky looking carrots!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed seeing these photos! Thank you for sharing them!
ReplyDeleteI like those freaky carrots. Maybe I will have nightmares!
ReplyDeleteI hope not!
DeleteRemember when I found the carrot with a penis and legs? Well now you win. You have one with legs, a penis, and balls. Danielle
ReplyDeleteHA!
DeleteOdd looking carrots, for sure, but as long as they taste good it doesn't much matter.
ReplyDeleteGene, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I agree with you that taste is the most important quality.
DeleteOff to visit your corner of the internet now.
Carrots like that are usually grown in farms next to nuclear reactors, chemical plants or bioweapons labs.
ReplyDeleteInteresting!
DeleteIt's always difficult to decide whether to buy a whole lettuce, say, or just some prepacked.
ReplyDeleteI would normally go for the whole head, because I eat a lot of produce and the cost per serving is cheaper, but if I wanted just a couple of prime leaves it might be worth going for the limited quantity.
DeleteThe carrots made me laugh. I think having the stuff for burgers cut up for you is nice but I'm not paying more for the convenience of it.
ReplyDeleteMary, I agree the extra cost isn't usually worth it, but if I didn't have refrigeration (like on a camp out, for example) it would be worth it.
DeleteCertainly healthy eating, even if the carrots are a bit deformed.
ReplyDeleteCarrots are one of my favorite vegetables, and I eat them just about every day.
DeleteThat giant Swiss sausage with its tiny flag gave me a good laugh. Mis-shaped carrots always taste just as sweet, plus they make prep work way more entertaining. Sorting through old phone photos is such a great way to discover forgotten culinary gems. That polenta with cauliflower actually looks like something served at a fancy bistro.
ReplyDeleteThe sausage tasted great, even if the presentation was a little wonky. I would love to recreate the cauliflower dish at home.
DeleteWhile unsightly, you are right, there is nothing wrong with those carrots, just our eyes.
ReplyDeleteSadly, I think that many people have come to believe that produce has to be 'perfect'
DeleteHow come all this food remained fresh on your cell-phone?
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
The miracles of modern technology :-)
Delete