On Saturday night Hubby Tony and I went out to dinner. The Italian restaurant we chose has huge portions, and we're both trying to watch our weight, so we decided to split an entrΓ©e (which came with salad, side dish, and rolls) and add an extra dinner salad.
It didn't take long for the waiter to bring a plate of warm rolls, followed shortly by the salads. Just as we finished the salads he came out with the main course and an extra plate. The dish featured a large charbroiled chicken breast and pieces of yellow squash and zucchini, carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms, all topped with a white wine sauce. The side of spaghetti was covered in a spicy red sauce. We moved half of everything to the extra plate, and dug in.
When the food was gone I was comfortably full. No calorie-laden dessert for us! We decided if we got hungry later on, we'd eat a piece of fruit. We paid the bill and left for our evening's activity--an outdoor jazz and blues music festival. Tony snagged a great parking spot. We followed the sound of music to a stage a couple of blocks away, where we found seats about a dozen rows back and settled in to listen. As I looked around I noticed an ice cream store right across the street from where we were sitting. I'd passed on dessert at the restaurant, but now I was second guessing my decision. When Tony suggested we walk over to the other stage and see what was playing there, I quickly agreed.
Shortly before we got to the second stage, I saw a grocery store, and knew I could buy a piece of fruit there! I started thinking about what I'd get. Maybe they'd have a nice late-season peach or pear. Certainly there would be a nice selection of juicy apples or pears, or a bunch of grapes. Any of them would be good.
However, there was a sign on the entrance door that completely changed the direction of my thoughts. The sing said that the store had red, yellow, and orange peppers on sale three for a dollar. Vegetables aren't a traditional dessert, but I can always go for a sweet colored pepper. We got two--one yellow and one orange. I rinsed them in the water fountain, then used a plastic knife from the eat-in area to cut and seed both. Tony and I munched on half of each. I thought they really hit the spot.

You guys are really good at watching your diet! I would've succumbed to the ice cream.
ReplyDeleteThe pepper actually made me feel so much better than the sugary ice cream would have. I hope I can remember that next time I'm tempted (but I probably won't).
DeleteWow! Good for you! Art and I often share a meal, especially at places like the Cheesecake Factory. You both are role models for the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the Cheesecake Factory! I read somewhere that it has some of the most unhealthy foods you can get (and that's even before the cheesecake!)
DeleteGood for you. I love bell peppers, too, but doubt I would have noticed them for the ice cream store.
ReplyDeleteYou can get ice cream any time of the year. Peppers are only in season for a little while.
DeleteBull's horn peppers are so good, if you get to try one. It's sweet long red pepper that is heavenly. I make pepper jam out of it, and also juice it.
ReplyDeleteHeaven, I tell you. Heaven.
I'm not familiar with that variety, but I'll keep a look out for it. Thanks for the recommendations.
DeleteWe get it from a local organic farmer. Killer good.
Delete