When we walked in shortly after the restaurant opened there was only one other table occupied. It took a bit of time for us to be greeted by an smiling, older Chinese man. When he spoke his English was very broken (which I always take as a sign the food will be authentic). He indicated we could choose any table we wanted.
The menu had both English and Chinese names for the entrees. Tony and I each chose a dish to share. Mine was Hot and Sour Stir-Fried Cabbage (酸辣白菜). Tony ordered a plate of vegetarian dumplings (素馅水饺). The waiter was the same man who greeted us. He took the time to verify that I was sure I wanted a dish without any meat in it, which I considered very thoughtful.
As we waited for our food I could hear the sound of the metal spatula scraping against the side of the wok, a sure sign something was being stir fried. Eventually the waiter brought out both dishes, then made a second trip for smaller plates-two for eating and a third holding a scoop of rice.My cabbage dish was just what I was craving-perfectly cooked greens in a salty, hot, sour sauce. Instead of tiny red spicy peppers I know to avoid in any dish, this one included rings of brown that I turned out to be slices of mildly-spicy peppers.
Tony and I managed to polish off both dishes. When the waiter came to ask us if we needed anything else I asked him what type of peppers had been in the dish. He seemed quite excited that I asked, but said he didn't know the English name and would check in the kitchen. A couple of minutes later he reappeared, holding a single pepper in one hand and an almost empty commercial sized bag in the other.
The waiter asked if I wanted to take a pepper home. I was honored, but I declined. He insisted I take a photo for reference, then went to get the bill. When he came back with it he also had two Ziploc bags, each holding a couple of tablespoons of the chili in flake form.
Back at home, I used the internet to find out the pepper was an Er Jing Tiao, considered the most common pepper in Sichuan cuisine, which has a low to medium heat combined with subtle sweetness, high fruitiness, and a robust fragrance.
Now all I have to do is come up with a recipe for the gifted flakes.


Very nice of him and the food looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteIt was fantastic!
DeleteLooks delicious and what a nice thing for the owner to do!
ReplyDeleteI thought so too.
DeleteEvery chef loves it when people are truly interested in their cuisine!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right.
DeleteWhat an amazing dining experience.
ReplyDeleteI was pleased with our choice.
DeleteWhat a wonderful "find" for your lunch. Glad you got a sample to take home.
ReplyDeleteGiven that we chose the restaurant based on the distance from the meeting room it was a great find.
DeleteYour word-choice does a most effective job or reminding me that we haven't eaten out at a restaurant for ages!
ReplyDeleteHas eating at home been accidental or a conscious choice?
DeleteWe made this a conscious choice for decades to save money but sometimes we remain stuck in that habit.
DeleteHow nice of him!
ReplyDeleteI love that! That was so nice.
ReplyDeleteThat’s a place that just calls for you to return. Amazing service!
ReplyDeleteFood looks very good!
I agree!
DeleteWhat a great experience! Now I'm craving some really good, authentic Chinese.
ReplyDelete:-)
Deletethe waiter seemed very warm and caring regarding his job wow
ReplyDeletei hope you get idea of some recipe soon dear Kathy :)