|
| Flickr |
The interior of the building is decorated in a style referred to as “Siamese Byzantine,” described as a conglomeration of Moorish, far Eastern, Egyptian, Babylonian and Indian themes of various periods. There are very few unadorned elements in the lobby, main halls, and theater. I learned on the tour is that everything is made from plaster.
|
| Lobby |
Unfortunately, the comedian Jerry Seinfeld was performing that night The orchestra pit was covered to allow for floor seating, so we couldn't see the big organ. We also couldn't go backstage. (Side note-There was a family on the tour that had children who looked to be tweens. Mom asked them if they had ever heard of Jerry Seinfeld. They had not. I felt old.)
This is the first time I had been in the theater and gotten an unobstructed view of the stage:I can never figure out which I like better-the stage or the elaborate Moorish-style globe chandelier that's 13 feet in diameter, weighs more than two tons and holds more than 200 light bulbs. It's actually suspended from an ornate ceiling starburst, but I couldn't capture it from the angle of my seat).
The building's elegance even extends to the carpet. When the theater was renovated, the original 1929 carpet was duplicated. I learned that every elephant's tusk point toward the main stage.
I thoroughly enjoyed the theater tour, but I'm not crossing it off my to-do list until I can go back a second time to see the entire building. I bet on top of the big items there will be a lot of discovered little details, too.
Five years ago: Bentonville Or Bust





That is one ornate theater. To say the least.
ReplyDeleteFabulous theater. Is there a large pipe organ? We have a similar style theater from the late 1920s that has similar motifs and also the largest pipe organ west of the Rockies. We have some very talented organists in Fresno who often use the venue for concerts. Occasionally done with a silent movie.
ReplyDeleteYes, the large Wurlitzer organ is in the auditorium. I wonder just how many of the ornate movie houses are still around?
DeleteHa ha, When I first read Fox Theater I thought you were in Detroit! I did not know there were three more of them! That is a gorgeous theatre and the Detroit one is also very nice and equally as ornate!
ReplyDeleteAnd I didn't know about the Detroit one! We both learned something.
DeleteLovely tour!
ReplyDeleteWow! Six million dollars in 1929 was an almost unimaginable amount of money! No wonder the decor of the Fox Theatre is so LAVISH!
ReplyDeleteKind of ironic that it opened right before the Depression.
DeleteWhat a gorgeous theater, Kathy. Beautiful architecture and design.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful architecture, such a lovely place to visit! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteDida, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
DeleteThe elephant carpet with every tusk pointing toward the stage is such a lovely detail, and the size of that chandelier is hard to imagine. I also had to smile at the tweens who had never heard of Seinfeld. Thank you for the tour, Kathy, and I hope you get to go back for the rest of the building!
ReplyDeleteI hope I get back for the rest of the tour too!
DeleteGrowing up on the East side of The River offered ample opportunity to visit the Fox! The last show I enjoyed there was decades ago ~~ Phantom of the Opera in 1995..
ReplyDeleteExcept for some upgrades to the stage and back of the house stuff the building hasn't changed.
DeleteOh how nice! I loved those old theatres. I saw Gone with the Wind at the Fox on Market st in San Francisco before they demolished it in 1963. What a shame!
ReplyDeleteWe have a retro theatre in our downtown where they saw fit to save it and its beautiful! Thanks for the tour!
Our guide told us the San Francisco Fox theater was still in existence, but Google just told me it's actually in Oakland. Even after the tour is over I'm still learning!
DeleteThe details! So much to see and examine. Yes to returning. That revisiting idea reminds me of the Louvre. I remember reading somewhere that it would require about 100 days to see everything there. I just had one, sigh.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, many cultural institutions need multiple visits to take it all in.
DeleteI helped raise money to save the Fox in Atlanta as a teen. We actually stood on street corners downtown asking people for donations. I can't imagine sending a teenage girl out to do that now, and I have no delusion that it was any safer then. But we raised a lot of money and the theater was there to take my daughter to see the Atlanta Ballet perform the Nutcracker at Christmas.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story!
DeleteWhat a beautiful place! I can see why you want to go back.
ReplyDelete