I am blaming the company's mysterious algorithms, which try to guess how interested I would be in seeing any given post. Fortunately, the funeral isn't taking place until mid-September so I will be able to attend.
I get that running an obituary in the newspaper is expensive, an extra thing to do at a stressful time, and that very few people read newspapers now. However, I guess I am an exception because I doscan through the obituaries in the newspaper (the e-edition on weekdays and a paper copy on Sunday) and have learned about the deaths of several people that way.
Hubby Tony has been told that if he has to plan a funeral for me there must be at least a minimalist notice in the newspaper (listing my name, dates of birth and death, and basic funeral service details). Of course, I won't be around to see if that happens.Five years ago: Distractible

Important information does seem to pass us by quite readily. I'm glad you found the information you needed.
ReplyDeleteI think the pace of life has picked up so much it's easy to miss things.
DeleteApart from expense, another reason people don't publish obits in newspapers anymore is that so few people actually buy and read newspapers these days. But I agree, publishing online is a very hit-and-miss way of publicizing something.
ReplyDeleteI know I am a dinosaur, but I will always support local media.
DeleteFacebook seems to be very selective. I seem to see the same people's posts frequently and others not at all. Sorry you missed it..
ReplyDeleteSelective is an apt description.
DeleteThe various methods of sharing information certainly has changed. While I don't think the newspaper is best way for sharing personal events, I do think sharing this type of news should go out through many avenues.
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to something like announcing someone's passing I would prefer to err on the side of too much.
DeleteMany aren't doing the newspaper anymore and using social media.
ReplyDeleteAnd that makes me sad.
DeleteYou do realize that newspaper obituaries are very expensive? Just a few lines will cost over $500. My sister had a friend, a decade or more ago, who put their parent's obit in our local paper--over $1000 for 4 paragraphs. I understand the newspaper uses regular advertising rates for the obits, so much per line. I am very glad to have social media to report deaths and the details of services.
ReplyDeleteI just looked up costs for our local newspaper. A death notice, which contains basic, short information about the deceased published for a single day with a maximum of five lines of text is a flat rate of $126.
DeleteIt's sad that we rely on social media for information anymore.
ReplyDeleteI agree.
DeleteI get the E-edition also. But at $39 a month I'm thinking about dropping it.
ReplyDeleteTry calling and talking to Customer Service. Every time Tony does that the price comes down.
DeleteI deactivated my FB so if someone dies I'll never know. I also don't read a newspaper except the NYTimes online. So if you don't die in NY I'll never know. I know in my small hometown it doesn't cost anything near what everyone is stating here. It starts at $61 however it can go higher. It depends on how many lines you write etc. I asked my sister how we did Dad's and she said we gave the info to the funeral director and it was included in his fee and they sent it to the newspaper and did the publishing etc. So it came out of the funds for the funeral which was then not another additional charge. But it's sad that we die and are still paying money to someone. I'm so sorry for your loss Kathy and how you had to find out.
ReplyDeleteI haven't planned a funeral in decades, but I don't remember dealing with the newspaper so the funeral parlor must have done it.
DeleteIf someone is our mosque or a relative of someone in our mosque dies we get an email. If someone even remotely related to us dies or someone related to someone we are related to dies we have extended family group chats that pass the info along.
ReplyDeleteIt's all about the connections. Sadly, for many those have fallen apart.
DeleteI know this awful feeling: I don't use FB and never will, so I must admit I've experienced this situation several times now.
ReplyDeleteFor genealogical purposes, I think a newspaper notice is a good choice.
I hadn't even thought about the genealogical aspect!
DeleteI am also someone who reads printed obituary notices and because I do not have a FB or any other social media account, any notice there would escape me as well.
ReplyDeleteFor the most part I love modern technology. Not so much these algorithms -- especially on Blogger.
ReplyDeleteOne of my friends dropped dead suddenly years ago. I knew about her death but missed her memorial service. It was delayed by months and no one told me about it. The reaction when I found it had taken place was "you should have seen it on facebook". Really? Algorithms because she was no longer posting on her page, but a son announced her memorial on her page.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, posting on social media has become an excuse for reaching out in real life.
DeleteMany of my friends do not even have facebook which is a big issue when it comes to deaths. Sometimes you don't even know the person passed until way after tey have passed.
ReplyDeleteThat's happened to me, too.
DeleteIn order to see my friends feeds on FB anymore I have to click on "friends" then "all friends" and click on each friend in the left hand corner to go right to their page. I get too many ads and people I'm not following in my feed now.
ReplyDeleteWhenever I am not interested in something on Facebook I hide it.
DeleteI thought it was mandatory to list a death notice in local newspaper. Hmm
ReplyDeleteI don't know that it was ever mandatory....just expected.
DeleteSorry you missed the announcement.
ReplyDeleteI personally get frustrated with people who only use FB to invite people to events or share big announcements. Not everyone looks at Facebook frequently and even if they do, they may not see it due to the algorythm. Of course, when you have a death in the family, you don’t have the time or mental bandwidth to contact people personally..
There is one branch of the extended family that heavily relies on Facebook for invitations and messaging. It drives me crazy, but I know I cannot change them. Years ago it seemed like every family had a 'point person' who would take care of contacting key people when information had to be disseminated.
Delete