Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Unconcerned

Last night the TV meteorologist talked about how we might have some severe weather coming through the area tonight. Every radio newscast I listened to today offered the same information. People seemed to be quite concerned...mainly because any storms might impact the Cardinals baseball game and the Blues hockey playoff game scheduled during the projected worst time period.

There was no sun at all today, which made it feel like the meteorologist might be right. After dinner Hubby Tony and were going to take a quick walk. Right after I put my shoes on Tony said he'd found out that a storm was headed our way, predicted here in approximately 30 minutes. We cancelled our plans. Ten minutes later I was outside tossing something in the compost pile and heard a distant rumble of thunder. Ten minutes after that the tornado siren went off. Tony said they'd sighted a tornado one county to the west of us. He eventually headed downstairs. I headed to my kitchen computer to do some paperwork.

My laissez faire attitude towards storms comes from my parents. As a child, hearing a siren meant it was time to go out onto the front porch and see what was going on. I never remember spending time in the basement, no matter how nasty the weather got.


via MEME

Shortly after Tony left the wind picked up and the rain started. For about fifteen minutes it came down at a ridiculous rate. A couple of small pieces of hail hit the skylight in the kitchen. I kept a cautious eye on the kitchen window so I could run and join Tony if the situation warranted, but all I saw were the trees being blown around a little bit.  The storm was over about the time the Blues game was starting. I turned on the radio and Tony came upstairs to join me.

Five years ago today: From Bad.....To Good....

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy - glad that you both took things in your stride ... and good to know the storm went over ... take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking things in stride is one of the valuable tools I've learned over the past few years :-)

      Delete
  2. Glad you're all OK. Take care.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the Midwest now but grew up on the East Coast so this whole "tornado warning sirens" thing really rattled me initially. I now am at the point where I will go downstairs (maybe because in this house we have a fully furnished basement including a giant TV, pool table, bedroom, full bath and refrigerator), but I take my time getting there instead of racing off at the first blast of the siren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'D like to hang out in your basement!

      Delete
  4. I would not feel safe living in a tornado zone, but we've had them come through the valley, strangely. Most of us have no basements here. I would worry about my cats living in tornado alley. And probably rig a way they could be safe in the event of a tornado event too. Glad your warning did not materialize. Here we are constantly reminded that "the big one" will hit at any moment (Cascadia fault slip resulting in extremely violent earthquake). Recently, a series of small quakes has geologists warning they could signal the fault is at risk, although they don't know. And neither do we. So life goes on, because there is nothing one can do about many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume houses in your area don't have basements because there's little need for them.

      Delete
  5. Those of us on the west coast have a similar attitude about earthquakes--no big deal, Of course, when a major storm or earthquake occurs...You all have lots more tornadoes than we have earthquakes. The news film footage has been devastating the past few nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earthquakes freak me out! St. Louis is close to the New Madrid Fault Line, a major fault that's been relatively inactive for more than a century. The scientists keep saying that could change at any time, but I'm crossing my fingers that they're wrong.

      Delete
  6. LOL The photo is exactly it!! When I was a kid, it would get nasty out and Dad & I would be standing in the garage watching it come in... Mom would be in the basement yelling at us to stop being idiots and get down there NOW!

    50 years later I still stand in the garage watching (albeit the door to the storm shelter open...) And if it's fixing to be nasty, we put Persia in her crate in the storm shelter before it gets bad out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those habits we learn as kids are hard to break :-)

      Delete
  7. LOL! That is exactly us in Kansas! My parents were always "Get in that basement NOW!" so I didn't learn the run-to-the-front-porch from them... I just did it on my own, and my kids followed lol. Just found your blog via another I read! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's amazing how the lessons we learn from our parents follow us all throughout life.

      Delete