Sunday, March 24, 2019

No Cow Milk Needed

This morning Hubby Tony and I did something unique. We took a class to learn how to make vegan cheese! The class was held at the Bike Stop Cafe in Chesterfield, and taught by Stephanie Bosch, who is a Culinary Nutritionist.

We arrived at the cafe a couple of minutes early, where we signed in and collected a packet of recipes. Right on time Stephanie invited the approximately dozen people into the back kitchen area, which was where the class took place. Everyone put their personal things away and washed their hands, then took places around the work table in the center of the room. There was a large, beautifully arranged cheese board in the center of the table for us to sample.  As most of the recipes were finished, we got to taste them too.

To start, Stephanie had everyone introduce themselves and tell why they were taking the class. Some people were there for themselves, and others because they wanted to cook healthier for their family members. The common denominator, though, was that everyone was following a predominantly plant-based diet.

Over the course of two hours Stephanie showed us how to make three cashew-based cheeses (and one based on almonds). All of them started with soaked nuts, which were pureed in a blender with spices and other ingredients. Some of the recipes included nutritional yeast, and others used thickening agents. Some were cooked, and some were not.

The first recipe Stephanie made was a queso cheese, which was a simple blend of cashews, nutritional yeast, spices, and a canned chipotle in adobo sauce, served with tortilla chips.  This one was pretty good (and I even went back for seconds), but I personally would have added more heat to it. I did not take a photo of this one.

For the second cheese Stephanie made a "Melty, Stretchy, Gooey" mozzarella that she said was great for grilled cheese, quesadillas, or vegetarian lasagna. A combination of soaked cashews, yogurt, acid, nut milk, nutritional yeast, and tapioca starch were blended together and cooked. Stephanie said it was important to stir the entire time the cheese was on the heat.  This was served with toasted sourdough bread. 

Cooking the mozzarella
Next, Stephanie changed gears and made some chèvre from almonds.  She started by blending soaked blanched almonds with water and salt, then poured the mixture into a nut milk bag and squeezing out as much liquid as possible. (I learned that if you sweetened this liquid a little bit you could call it almond milk.) However, it was the solids that Stephanie used for the cheese. To them she added apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, refined coconut oil, and spices. Although she told us this cheese would be best if it aged for at least 24 hours we sampled it immediately. It was still good.

Blended almond solids-the beginning of chèvre
The last cheese was a pepper jack, which Stephanie told us could be cubed, grated, or sliced.  It was the most complicated recipe, and used several new-to-me ingredients. After the cashews were blended with plant-based milk cider vinegar, coconut oil, spices, tapioca starch, inulin, and carrageenan it was heated to a specific temperature. Stephanie mixed in diced jalapeno, red pepper, and pepper flakes, then scooped the mixture into molds. There wasn't time for the cheese to completely set up, so we were not able to sample this variety. It sure looked good, though.

Spreading pepperjack into molds
I couldn't believe how fast the two hours flew by. I don't know how soon I'll be incorporating all of these new cheeses into my daily eating plan, but at least now I have options

Five years ago today: But I Saw It On The Internet!

18 comments:

  1. Blessed are the cheese makers for they will have cheese on toast.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff! We have a product sold in the stores, made with this. It gave me some issues with shelf life, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any preservative-free product doesn't last as long as a conventional one. If you opened up the door of my freezer you would find a multitude of small containers, each holding a single- or double-serving of something.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this interesting experience, it gives us a good idea of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fascinating. Long way from making yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy - I took one course on Vancouver Island (before I came back to the UK) ... but went with a milk producer - so logical it was milk based cheese. I'd love to try these and see how they were made - great read and thanks for the info ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you can buy some plant-based cheeses at Whole Foods or natural grocery stores. However, in my opinion store bought is never as good as fresh made.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting and helpful post. It is so full of great information. Thank you for sharing it. I learned a lot here that I didn't know before reading it here. Keep up the good work!

    Wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s funny how now that we’ve moved to Hawaii, I rarely cook with cheese anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That probably speaks to the healthiness of your diet now.

      Delete
  8. This class sounds like it was so interesting. I would have been disappointed not to have tasted the Pepper Jack, as it's one of my favorites. Too bad she didn't have some pre-made for you to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but when she said her father-in-law had passed away in the last week I was amazed that the class was even held as scheduled.

      Delete
  9. What a fun class and I like that your hubby went with you.
    I don't think I could give up my Tillamook cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually don't have 'dates' on Sunday morning, but this was a good one!

      Delete