Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Detergent Diversification

Ever since I've belonged to a discount club (first Sam's, now Costco), I've bought large containers of powdered laundry detergent there. Back in the day there were five people making dirty clothes, three of whom were boys. I did a lot of laundry, and it made sense to go to the store as little as possible. In the beginning the plastic tubs weighed 40 pounds; eventually there was a reformulation it which made the tubs half that size. Occasionally the brand name would change, but the stuff inside the container always worked well.

Now there's only two of us making dirty clothes, but I still buy the big containers because I like how they clean and I know how to use them. They just last longer. Last week I realized that we were getting low on detergent. The next time I went to Costco I walked to the section near the back of the store to get another tub. I went from one end of the aisle to the other and back again but I couldn't find what I was looking for. The shelves were filled with bottles of liquid detergent and packages of pods. There were name brands and store brands. The labels touted they were "Ultra", "Concentrated", or even "Ultra Concentrated". Some styles were scented and others fragrance-free. A few even contained fabric softener. But none of them were what I came in for.

Eventually I realized that my powdered detergent tub was unavailable. After comparing the prices for several brands I chose the least expensive liquid. It felt strange to be carrying a bottle out of the store, but I have to admit it was easier to get into my car and carry into my house.

I have now used the liquid detergent for several loads. It seems to wash the clothes just as well, but it's hard for me to see the marking on the cap telling me just how much I need for a load. And right now while the bottle is full, it's hard for me to pick it up with one hand to pour a load's worth into the cap. Change is always inevitable, though, and I bet before too long I'll wonder how I ever did the laundry without that big jug.

Five years ago today: Thanks, But No Thanks

16 comments:

  1. I think they make the level difficult to read on purpose so you will use more than necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is often not comfortable. I find that most things like toothpaste cost more for a smaller tube these days. Ice cream too. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO many things are smaller than they used to be, and sold for the same price. Sheesh, indeed.

      Delete
  3. After a while, someone will invent powdered detergent once again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they'll market it as the newest thing :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm finding it hard to get small packages of anything, even at Target or the grocery store. Everyone wants to sell gigantic sizes. I've used liquid laundry and dishwasher soaps for a long time and really prefer them. Powders can spill so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the 'bigger is better' mentality. Wonder if it's because most people would prefer to stock up and not shop as often?

      Delete
  5. I use the same liquid soap and have the same issue with the level to use. I ended up putting a piece of tap around the lid so that it darkens the area to be filled. Pour to the top of the dark area and it is perfect. When I get a new bottle, I just swap the marked lid onto the new bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had very hard well water at the old house and here at the park. It regularly clogged our washer drain pipes, until our Maytag man begged us to changed to liquid, and we did.
    So as a twenty year liquid user, I can advise you to mark the cap with black magic marker to see measurements. You may also want to experiment. You may find you need half the recommended amount, or even less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was using some pods I found on sale but no more because I find remnants of them in the bottom of the wash tub. They sometimes don't dissolve so now I have to cut them open. Yeah---really convenient. The liquid detergent is such a waste I think to myself because its mostly water but its so easy, since I usually wash in cold water, so I dissolve powdered detergent first in a cup of hot water so it works better. Going back to regular old powdered, a Mexican brand that is both cheap and cleans well and contains no phosphates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that paying for the water in liquids feels wasteful. Depending on what I think of this brand I bought I might search more actively for a powder next time.

      Delete